Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Classy

Hard to tell without a closup of the fittings, but it looks like an old Coleman condenser with precharged lines.

My personal favorite were the precharged lines that came with bending springs factory installed on about 1.5' of each end of the suction lines.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by dandyme View Post
    oh, you yungins got a lot to see, wait until you cross a lennox that used the liquid line as the metering device and there is an extra 20' of liquid line

at least they followed mfg instruction an d sloped the lines and didn't stand them vertical

yea they could have made it look a tad better (not by much though)
    Changed out 2 condensers using that system last summer. I believe it was a 3/8" liquid line bushed down to 5/16 for the last 15 feet going into flat coils.
    Homeowner didn't want to change the linesets or Evaps so we just dropped in some 13 seer dry charge units.
    Worked pretty well actually.

If this did have the precharged lineset, couldn't the installer have just moved the condenser over a little more? Probably have to lay down another pad, but wouldn't have the extra 4' of lineset

Coleman mobile home condensers used the aero quip fitting quite often. Not sure if they still use them. The drown side to using them is they didn't have service valves to pump system down if you needed to. Also leaks may occur as the rubber o-rings didn't seal all the time.

It was always my understanding that the o-ring on an Aero-quip fitting was only for when the fittings were being joined. ONce they bottomed out you had a metal - metal seal. The only leaks I ever had with them was when the o-ring would get into that sealling surface. There are several still out there that have no o-ring and still aren't leaking.

[QUOTE=hurtinhvac;15078761]So was there a flared/compression type fitting that held the charge until you tightened the joint?

Nope... a brass diaphragm held the charge in until the connection was made. Once the fittings were tightened up, four triangle shaped blades in the male fitting would pierce the diaphragm. O rings made the seal like a SharkBite fitting. Precharged line sets are still used today. Saw one last week on a new remote ice machine.

I remember cutting out many of those fittings and hard-piping directly to the unit. Those fittings seemed to always leak. That's why I distrust mechanical fittings to this day. Although I believe mechanical fitting have improved.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

???
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    ???
    Expansion loop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty hvac View Post
    Expansion loop.

Why?

Just joking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    ???
    That's extra, for when someone steels the condenser. It's good for about 5 or 6 replacements.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty hvac View Post
    Just joking.
    Goof.

My first few weeks I was in the shop when a senior tech came up with a sign that was taped to a coil or something. It said "use frist." He asked another tech what frist was and I stopped what I was doing and listened in thinking I might learn something about a lineset flush, filter drier or something...

Turns out he was just making fun of the fact that someone misspelled "first."

Guess I'm still not altogether immune to pipe strectcher jokes...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12