+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New York Screw Chillers. Thoughts?

Post Likes

New York Screw Chillers. Thoughts?

What do you guys think about the new York screw chillers? I have a engineer that has sold a customer on these chillers over a Smardt Turbocor. His main reason is they can go from 0 to fully loaded in 60 seconds. I have never seen a screw build oil pressure that fast, has anybody ever witnessed this?
    I STARTED WITH NOTHING, AND I STILL HAVE MOST OF IT!

Post Likes
    If you are referring to the YVWA or water cooled variable speed screw machines I agree with the engineer. This technology was proven in the air cooled version. The performance difference between a Turbocor equipped chiller is negligible. The difference in first cost cannot be recouped in the life cycle of the chiller.

Post Likes
    What about the maintenance costs over the life of the chiller? How fast do they load?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by allstar08 View Post
    What about the maintenance costs over the life of the chiller? How fast do they load?
    Maintenance costs probably the same as any other chiller. The Turbocor selling point of no oil for some reason makes everyone think they are trouble free. When even the McQuay guys can't seem to troubleshoot them I say that is problematic. Danfoss is selling compressors to an OEM, yet the OEM service guys seem befuddled by them. We are seeing more and more failures of Turbocor compressors that are approaching five years. Not a very good track record IMHO, especially when you see the cost of the replacement compressors.

Can't answer how fast the York YVWA loads. I suspect it's like any other chiller. The speed of loading is relatively proportional to the degree of offset from set point.

Post Likes
    You talkin' about the YVW's or the YMC's?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by klove View Post
    You talkin' about the YVW's or the YMC's?
    Who me? Or the OP? The OP was comparing Smardt chillers with the new York screw chillers. The only new one I'm aware of is the YVWA, which is the VS water cooled screw in the 200-300 T. range.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KnewYork View Post
    Who me? Or the OP? The OP was comparing Smardt chillers with the new York screw chillers. The only new one I'm aware of is the YVWA, which is the VS water cooled screw in the 200-300 T. range.
    OP

Post Likes
    I was told 240 ton air cooled York that is screw and can load in 60 seconds, and is also quiet.

As a side note I have had good luck with the Turbocor product as it relates to Smardt chillers, both water and air cooled. I have had problems with them when they are installed in other companies pieces of equipment. Most of the issues due to comissioning and lack of knowledge.

Post Likes
    Then you probably refer to the YVAA (air cooled vsd driven screw).
    "Quality exists, when the price is long forgotten."

Henry Royce

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Entropie View Post
    Then you probably refer to the YVAA (air cooled vsd driven screw).
    The OP never stated if it's air cooled or water cooled. If it's air cooled then it's a YVAA. If it's water cooled it's a YVWA.

Both machines employ the same VSD screw technology. The YVWA fits a niche market York had trouble being competitive in (200-300 T. water cooled).

Post Likes
    Thanks for the link, KnewYork. Nice looking machine. As a former Trane guy, I've always been jealous and frustrated that the Yorks have oil level sight glasses while the Tranes don't. Still.

Post Likes
    It is the YVAA. How fast can this thing load and just how quiet is it?

Post Likes
    A centrifugal compressor in air cooled chiller in the deep south not a good idea, I am big fan of turbocour flooded chillers however. As far as price of turbocour replacement as opposed to a JCI supplied screw compressor, tubocour from OEM is priced a little under, installation is a lot easier as the turbocour comes in at apoximately 300 to 400 Lbs as opposed to >1k for screw compressor. But air cooled in our high ambient/humidty will run too high head for centrifugal. All that being said the varible speed screw is a good product.
    A LITTLE BIT OF STUPID GOES A LONG WAY!

Post Likes
    If I had to guess its probably less than 2 minutes and you could carry on a conversation at 100% with a 75 degree ambient load.

Quote Originally Posted by allstar08 View Post
    It is the YVAA. How fast can this thing load and just how quiet is it?

Post Likes
    Worked on the variable speed screws since 2007, only replaced two compressors, out of 30 or so machines out there in my area. The YVAA and YVWA are the newest and are a flooded evaporator as compared to the YCAV and YCIV which where DX evaporators. As far as the 0-full load in 60, never really notice, but do't think so because things need to adjust and settle out or they may fault on low pressure. However the YVAA/YVWA are new and with that maybe. They have been good machines.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in