Thread: Noisy Oil Burners

Post Likes

Noisy Oil Burners

I purchased a new thermo Pride high efficiency oil furnace, and it is so loud I can't hear my TV when it comes on. I was told this is bvecause the rapid rush of air for efficiency. Can anything be done? Are other new furnaces just as lud. We had two in the past 22 years, and neither was loud

Post Likes
    Is it the burner that is noisy or is it the main blower?
    Where are you? Are you done yet? I got ONE more call for you.....

Post Likes
    Moved to AOP Residential forum.

Post Likes
    That is not normal. While thermipride IMO is the best if the best, there can be some noise issues with the burners. Is this a Riello or a Beckett burner? Usually with proper adjustment and an outside air intake kit they can be very quiet.

Post Likes
    I'm guessing its blower/duct air noise he is hearing.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kangaroogod View Post
    That is not normal. While thermipride IMO is the best if the best, there can be some noise issues with the burners. Is this a Riello or a Beckett burner? Usually with proper adjustment and an outside air intake kit they can be very quiet.
    ageee Thermopride is THE BEST oil furnace in my opinion. but the real question is why is this your 3rd furnace in 22yrs? thats NOT OK....i have units out there , that i did not install, that are going on 40yrs old....possible duct issues overheating your furnace(3rd unit) and making high static pressure causing the system to sound like a "jet airplane taking off" when running..how bout model#.......................just looked up some info and ur unit may have a ECM motor in it, and that will make a difference in sound if its not set exactly right...betting thats ur problem....model# plz

Post Likes
    I'm gonna say you probably have undersized ductwork, this will cuse premature failure of heat exchanger and noise issues as others have stated.

Post Likes
    It is a Beckett, model # OH8FA119D60B

Post Likes
    It is a Beckett, model # OH8FA119D60B

Both of the earlier furnaces had cracked fire box. Interesting, the furnace is a backup to a heat pump, and does not come on until temperature is below 35*. The fan supports the air conditioner, the heat pump, and the furnace. If I keep the fan on all the time, there is not any noticeable noise. No noticeable oise when the heat pump is running, or the air conditioner. Only when the oil furnace kicks on below 35*, which just started in our area two weeks ago.

Thanks for responding.

Post Likes
    Looks like the model number of the furnace, not the burner.

What size is the heat pump.

Post Likes
    You need to have an oil tech out to perform a combustion analysis and smoke test to tune the furnace and it will purr like a kitten, save oil, and last a long time as long as the ductwork is adequate.

Post Likes

Going deaf

A few more facts may help. When the het pump is on becasue the temp is above 35*, no noise can be heard. When the burner initially comes on because the temp is below 35*, you can hear the burner, but not annoyingly loud. Within about 30 seconds, you hear a suction like a jet engine sucking air rapidly. It is most apparent by a flapper called "Calibrated Draft Control". This flapper is part of a vent from the furnace to the cinder block wall. It does not go outside at that point, so I think it goes into the chimney, which has 2 stacks. I should probably go outside and see if I see anything coming out that smokestack. When the burner turns off, and the furnace is cooling, the fan noise is also not loud. That's the best information I can provide, unless you need something specific that I can meassure.

Thanks for replying.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    You need to have an oil tech out to perform a combustion analysis and smoke test to tune the furnace and it will purr like a kitten, save oil, and last a long time as long as the ductwork is adequate.
    x2
    Heating/Cooling Services Inc.
    www.heatingandcoolingservicesinc.com

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in