Spill Switch- What does it shut down?

Most of my work is on furnaces, don't do a lot of fireplace stuff but some.Went to look at a Napoleon GDS28 that is shutting down. the pilot will light, turn on wall switch and main valve takes about a minute to open? will go for about 30 seconds then the pilot shuts down, main valve snaps closed about 10 seconds later.

We currently have a real cold snap here in southern Ontario so real busy, I just popped in to see if it may be just a T-couple or something easy, not the case.

My question, does the spill switch shut down just the pilot or the main as well?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

From the time you hit the burner switch until the burners fully ignite should not be greater than 4 seconds per ANSI. You technically have a delayed ignition. The pilot controls all the gas to the valve (100% safety shutoff). If the thermopile is weak or a weak pilot flame, what you described may happen. There are a number of things that must be considered not limited to but including inlet gas, venting, primary aeration, blocked burner orifice, etc, etc.

Fireplaces give fits to HVAC techs. Best left up to qualified fireplace techs.

Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post

Fireplaces give fits to HVAC techs. Best left up to qualified fireplace techs.
    I am this quote!!!!!!

I think I will show it to my boss, he wishes we would not work on them unless we installed it.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Thanks Hearthman, I appreciate your advice. I tried cleaning the thermopile and it did seem to cut the delay in about half so I'm guessing you are correct. I will take your advice and leave the follow up to a fireplace expert.

After you first light a pilot, it's common for it to take up to a minute before the main burner will light. What happens is when you first light the pilot the thermopile is cold, and can take up to a minute before its generating enough power to open the main valve. I recommend when you first light the pilot, to let the pilot lit for a minute or so before turning the unit on.