Bacharach Snifit 50 vs Fluke CO-220

Fluke is the best in electrical meters and Bacharach is the best in refrigerant leak detectors. Which one is the best for CO detection?

I wouldn't recommend either one of them. These are only personal safety monitors and are useless for diagnosing equipment problems. Both are affected by airflow and warm air so they can't be held near anything hot but then they are only personal safety monitors. If personal safety is your goal then check out the CO Angel on the NCI website. Almost 1/2 the price and clips on to your belt.

If you are looking to safety test equipment you need an analyzer. They are a little more expensive but then the tools that can do the job are. Bacharach and Testo are usually the best when it comes to quality and affordability. UEI does have a newer analyzer that is expensive but seems to be okay. Fluke and Field Piece are not good choices for combustion analyzers.
    captain CO

My goal is the customer's safety, the plan was to test for CO on every maintenance. Every tech I've talked to has told me combustion analyzers aren't really necessary, just make sure the flame is good and test for CO. Could you explain why the flame analyzer is a better choice?

Edit: Also could you recommend a specific model you like too? I really don't have a lot of money so I try not to buy super expensive tools, I just want something I know will work well and last.
    Last edited by WarTurtle; 10-10-2013 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Additional question

Quote Originally Posted by WarTurtle View Post
    My goal is the customer's safety, the plan was to test for CO on every maintenance. Every tech I've talked to has told me combustion analyzers aren't really necessary, just make sure the flame is good and test for CO. Could you explain why the flame analyzer is a better choice?
    You might want to surround yourself with individuals that are a little more technically proficient than the counter help at the supply house or individuals that are listed as top technicians at sales oriented companies.

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    or individuals that are listed as top technicians at sales oriented companies.
    Don't have much of a choice unless I switch jobs. It's all people right out of school or super salesmen at my company . One guy is really good at service because he has done it over 20 years but he can't know everything. Right now I'm just trying to be a good technician myself, this site helps immensely. I never post but I'm always reading lol.

A tech may be good at making things run and keeping them running but making them run right is another story. In todays age of technology not using a combustion analyzer would be like not using a cell phone, computor, cable or satellite. You can't make a customer safe without a combustion analyzer. Can't really tell if anything is running right. We show people in class all the time how pretty blue flames make 4000ppm of CO. Bacharach and Testo both make analyzer for less than $700 and if you buy the stripped down models they are under $600. That is only $200 more than the Snifit or CO-220 that don't do much.

Learning how to use it is important and you do get a lot of help on here but to make use of the full potential classroom training is a must.
    captain CO

Edit: Also could you recommend a specific model you like too? I really don't have a lot of money so I try not to buy super expensive tools, I just want something I know will work well and last.
    How can you know if its burning correctly if you don't test the combustion. Your eyes can't tell you half of what is going on.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

So it sounds like not checking combustion is like not checking super heat and subcool? You can tell it's on but not if it's working well. I'm pretty sold on buying one, is it possible to learn to use it effectively without classroom training? Most likely my company is not going to pay for it (at least I asked ). What are some ways it could be used to make the company money? If I had a good list of ways it would generate money for the company they might be more included to help with the training.

I have been using a teso digital combustion analyzer for over 10 years now. Before that I used the Bacharach wet kit and never knew what the CO was. Testo has some great models out there now. The 310 would be the one I would buy if I needed to replace my trusty 325-1. Here's a video that really shows it off. I think truetechtools is throwing in a Veto bag with the deal.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T319yEmyac0
    If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Might be surprised how many bad heat exchangers there are that the flame looks good by eye ball.

Can also show you draft problems that you can sell corrections for.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

So it sounds like not checking combustion is like not checking super heat and subcool? You can tell it's on but not if it's working well. I'm pretty sold on buying one, is it possible to learn to use it effectively without classroom training? Most likely my company is not going to pay for it (at least I asked ). What are some ways it could be used to make the company money? If I had a good list of ways it would generate money for the company they might be more included to help with the training.
    10 out of 10 furnaces in the field not set up with an analyzer are running incorrectly. Potentially 4 out of 10 are running unsafe. It is easier to sell new equipment if you know the equipment is bad. Cracked heat exchangers are not the major issue in the field and are the symptom of CO production not usually the cause.

Without proper diagnostics, correct repairs are rarely implemented. Fortunately many of my students are on here to help, but there are certain corrections that they have been trained on that shouldn't be performed by others who have not.

Check the NCI website for some clues on how training and testing can help.
    captain CO

Quote Originally Posted by earlburnermann View Post
    I have been using a teso digital combustion analyzer for over 10 years now. Before that I used the Bacharach wet kit and never knew what the CO was. Testo has some great models out there now. The 310 would be the one I would buy if I needed to replace my trusty 325-1. Here's a video that really shows it off. I think truetechtools is throwing in a Veto bag with the deal.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T319yEmyac0
    You can get the free veto bag no matter which Testo distributor you buy it at. It is a Testo promotion and is not specific to TruTechTools.