Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new fan motor loud and not starting

Post Likes

new fan motor loud and not starting

So my HVAC fan motor has always been loud since we bought the condo. The motor finally died so I replaced it myself with an A.O. smith motor and it's been loud and is hard to start. I left the fan on "on" and just dealt with the loud noise for a couple months. Then last week it completely locked up. Luckily Grainger replaced the motor under warranty but now the new one is doing the same thing. It's loud when running and does not really start up. It sorts cranks slowly and usually needs me to spin the wheel to start.

I did not replace the blower wheel but it looks okay, also the wheel is not hitting anything so its not making the loud rubbing noise. I figure the loud noise is from the wheel being out of balance, but would that cause a brand new motor to start failing after 2 days? an out of balanced motor shouldn't prevent it from starting, would it?

Also I did need to purchase a capacitor when buying the 1st motor. Not sure why the old motor did not require one.

The grainger review said someone had same issue and replaced with Dayton motor. I just don't want to spend the money on another motor and have the same issue.

Post Likes
    You need to spend the money on a tech that knows what they are doing. You have a very simple wiring issue or motor sizing issue that can be resolved by hiring an HVAC company. Or you can keep wasting money on motors.

Post Likes
    I don't believe in hiring people to do something I can do myself. Its wired properly and runs on both low and high speed Also seems to be pulling the correct voltage. It's an AC motor, 120V and ground should make it work, I don't see where there is a wiring issue.

I'd rather spend the money on a complete hvac and install myself then hire someone. That is why I posted on here for assistance. How about pointing me in the right direction so I can learn?

Post Likes
    He did point you in the right direction, if you could do it yourself it would work right?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by justinm001 View Post
    Also seems to be pulling the correct voltage. It's an AC motor, 120V and ground should make it work, I don't see where there is a wiring issue.
    PULLING the correct voltage??? 120v to GROUND?? You REALLY need to make a phone call!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    He did point you in the right direction, if you could do it yourself it would work right?
    Not if the canooter valve in the flux capacitor is bad.

Post Likes
    the magic smoke shall be released shortly

Post Likes
    C&P from a post he made back in July. This has been an ongoing problem. He just hasn't figured out yet that the problem is him:
    I replaced the 1/3HP 9.7Amp 4 stage motor with a 3 stage 1/3HP 4.6Amp motor. It was wired up only to use 2 stages, but seems only to run on high, whats the low stage for? Also how can I tell if I'm programed to use both stages, if theres a point.

Main problem we're having is our upstairs is very hot. Our new motor is 1075rpm vs 1050rpm but isn't really noticeable

Post Likes
    I don't believe in hiring people to do something I can do myself. Its wired properly and runs on both low and high speed Also seems to be pulling the correct voltage. It's an AC motor, 120V and ground should make it work, I don't see where there is a wiring issue.

I'd rather spend the money on a complete hvac and install myself then hire someone. That is why I posted on here for assistance. How about pointing me in the right direction so I can learn?
    I believe that Bamacool gave you sound advice. This is not meant to be disprectful but it is quite obvious that you have neither the knowledge or the proper tools to diagnose and repair it. Most of us on here earn our living by doing what you are attempting to do, if you would rather replace a entire system then hire a pro to fix your problem, you need to rethink the situation your in.

Post Likes
    Forgot to mention: I see no reason for the amp draw difference on the motors to mean anything. It should work, right?

Post Likes

im thinking that the problem is not the motor

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 01-26-2013 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Post Likes
    Marxski09, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary or ask questions of the OP here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

Your post has been deleted.

Post Likes
    No DIY. Read the rules.

Call a professional before you hurt yourself, your family, or your equipment.

Post Likes
    So, let me see if I have this right...

You diagnosed a bad motor and replaced it yourself. Now the new motor is doing the same thing. Now because its drawing 120v, you have decided its not a wiring issue. Since you can do this yourself, you ask us what motor you should buy next?

I've always liked General Motors. My Chevy purrs like a champ. Recently I've been considering getting a hemi...

Okay, that's not nice. Do you get the point? Hire a tech. Or keep buying motors and expect different results with each new one...

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

Last edited by beenthere; 01-27-2013 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhorn0311 View Post
    First off sticking your paws in or around a squirrel cage when energized is not very wise..........
    Darn it, I've seen tens of thousands of those things and have yet to spot one of those ever so elusive squirrels. I always thought they were forward curved centrifugal blowers with a housing design based on the Archimedes scroll. But I could be wrong.
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

`·.¸¸..· ´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯` ·.¸>÷÷(((°>

.·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Post Likes
    Okay I got it about replacing a motor with less amps. I see I can replace a motor with the same amperage as old and all will be good. But considering they have more efficient motors now with less amperage I should be able to use resistors and use a motor with less amperage, right? This way i'll be able to save energy costs.

I'm moving in a couple months anyways so either is not a huge deal, but what is the best option?

Post Likes
    Also, I appreciate the help that forums like these provide. But it is upsetting that this forum puts limits and restrictions on help, for the sole purpose to push people to hire people in your profession. This might be the only forum I've ever been on that limits the assistance and is so negative on assisting others.

I'm an IT consultant by trade, and My profession is similar to yours, I fix things that are broke, or provide solutions to enhance things. I work for a small company that works for other small companies, because I like helping people. Our company with just about any IT related forum go out of our way to assist others and never limit our assistance for any reason.

Post Likes
    Also, I appreciate the help that forums like these provide. But it is upsetting that this forum puts limits and restrictions on help, for the sole purpose to push people to hire people in your profession. This might be the only forum I've ever been on that limits the assistance and is so negative on assisting others.

I'm an IT consultant by trade, and My profession is similar to yours, I fix things that are broke, or provide solutions to enhance things. I work for a small company that works for other small companies, because I like helping people. Our company with just about any IT related forum go out of our way to assist others and never limit our assistance for any reason.
    Don't you mean you fix things that you break?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in