Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

XR-15 matching coil and furnace?

Hello. I have been reading several articles on this site about my future air conditioner and it has helped me make informed choices so I wanted to say thank you to all who post here. I have pretty much decided on a Trane XR-15 for my home. I wanted to ask the pros to look at the models I have been quoted to make sure these are a good match for each other. I have no way to research the coil or furnace to make sure they are matches myself. I have no reason to not believe they are correct, but I like to do my homework before a major purchase. I am specifically interested to see if this combination (assuming correct installation) will give me the maximum SEER and EER possible with this unit. Trane rates it as "up to 17 SEER". Is this even possible?

Trane XR-15 4-Ton 4TTR5048E
    Coil 4FXFH060
    Furnace TUD1C080A9H4

This is the lower unit in my future 1.5 story home. It will be conditioning 2700 sq ft that is insulated with cellulose filled 2x6 walls. I will have return air in all bedrooms, and an fresh air inlet as well.

The upper unit is the 2-Ton version of this.

I went with the XR-15 due to its minimal cost over the XB-14 and the poor reviews and high cost of the XL-16i.

Thanks to anyone who can provide assistance and recommendations!

You should recheck that evap coil mdl number.

Appears to be the XT80 furnace, high eff blower 80% efficiency.

Do you mind sharing your location?

Post back.

IMO

Copied from the quote: TUD1C080A9H4. Is that furnace a good or bad thing?

I am situated between Houston and Galveston Texas. Hot and humid. Max summer temp around 100 but usually high 90s. 90% humidity or more EVERY day :-(

Thanks!!!!

Wait. Sorry u asked for the coil number and I have u the wrong one. Here is what was quoted.

4FXFH060

Your coil number is not a good number.

What size both furnace and AC are you replacing?

Post back

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by zuhl View Post
    Wait. Sorry u asked for the coil number and I have u the wrong one. Here is what was quoted.

4FXFH060
    Probably should be 4TXFH060, but confirm with dealer.

Did anyone run a load on your home to size the equipment? If I reading your post right you have 2700 square foot with 6 tons of air is this correct?

How or where is this unit going to be installed? Closet or attic? While you will see better seer numbers with the XT80 furnace you want have variable speed which I would Chosse over fixed speed high eff. Motor any day. This due to all the features and benfits. With a variable speed you will also have 2 stage heating. Both sized properly and installed will remove more humdity, longer run times etc... Some times you can't get hung up on seer.

Just my thoughts. When compairing seer between 14.5- 15 avarage with (4) ton verus 16 seer is not that much cost savings and you with a variable speed you have more options on what and how the system runs. It all boils down to what you are trying to achive with your new system!

If you want higher seer stay with the XT furnace if you want more comfort look at the XV model. As far as the coil goes that does not look to be a match that I can find but could have over looked? Also on the condenser ask the company about the 4TTR5049 model this is the newest version of 4TTR5048 and might yield better numbers depending on the coil.

probably a slab coil . in a humid area i would get the 2stage varible speed furnace although they are more money
    We really need change now

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    probably a slab coil . in a humid area i would get the 2stage varible speed furnace although they are more money
    Yeah that was my thoughts also that it was or is a slab coil. I would not hesitate to get a variable speed, 2 stage best money OP will ever spend in my opion.

The Trane XR 15 is a great system just needs the right furnace and coil to make it work properly for what you want the system to do at your home. I would ask the installing dealer about upgrading to variable speed, 2 stage furnace. Then have them look at the best matched coil and condenser for the XV variable speed furnace.

Please keep us posted as I am curious to see what the dealer says. Just remember that this is a decision you will leave with for the next 10-20 years and little more investment now goes a long way towards the future for comfort, energy usage etc...

Thanks for the replies. I should have clarified, I have a 1.5 story home being built. The bottom story is 2700 and the top is 800 sq ft. So 3500 total. Three different companies all sized it at 4+2 tons. It is a vented attic. AC will be in attic but most of duct work will be in between the floors, i.e. conditioned space. The house is to be on a slab.

The variable speed furnace that y'all propose- is that a furnace that is independent of the fixed speed compressor? Or would I then need something like an XL-15i? I never really looked into this after all the bad reviews of the XL-16i saying it did a bad job at humidity removal.

One other factor, I am not sure if this matters but I will be running the furnace with LP, not CNG since I can't get CNG on my block

Quote Originally Posted by zuhl View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I should have clarified, I have a 1.5 story home being built. The bottom story is 2700 and the top is 800 sq ft. So 3500 total. Three different companies all sized it at 4+2 tons. It is a vented attic. AC will be in attic but most of duct work will be in between the floors, i.e. conditioned space. The house is to be on a slab.

The variable speed furnace that y'all propose- is that a furnace that is independent of the fixed speed compressor? Or would I then need something like an XL-15i? I never really looked into this after all the bad reviews of the XL-16i saying it did a bad job at humidity removal.
    A variable speed furnace XV 80 can be paired with any outdoor unit and coil as long as they are rated together with Ahri match. I am not a fan of the XL 16 either as it does not do real with humdity removal for the money. Trane just came out with the XR 16 2stage/step unit that is basically a XL 16 without the top. It has the same compressor with 2stage/step and warranty us is 10 year parts, coil and compressor.

The XR 16 was built to compete with other manfactors as a cost effective 2 stage/step compressor. While we don't put many XL 16 in the XR 16 might be with the coming year a great mid range system. My view on the XL 16 was this with the amount of money you would spend for this unit for a little more a customer could go with a XL 20 true 2 stage unit with 2 compressors. In other words with XL 20 in a 4 ton you would have 2 compressors one (2) ton and the Other (4) ton. While the cost is more and the ROI is a long time, I feel it to be the a great unit if $ is not the main decision maker for you.

To get more detailed you could have a variable speed, 2 stage XV 80 with any condenser Trane makes again as long as the coil matchs up rating wise. The XL 15 is Trane top of the line singe stage outdoor condenser. XR 15 offers 10 year parts, coil and compressor warranty vs the XL 15 with 10 year parts and coil warranty with 12 year compressor warranty along with top on the condenser to discharge air out the sides not the top and different fan blade for quietness along with some other stuff to make it quiet.

The XR 15 & XL 15 are the 2 most popular units that we sale and install for customers in my area. Any system you select you will be able to purchase a extended warranty to cover labor warranty for either 10 or 12 years depending on which unit you choose.

If nothing else at least inquire about the XV 80 variable speed furance with either the XR 15, XL15 or the XR 16. Ask you installing company to explain the pros and cons of the outdoor unit. Since you are building now is the time to get all the minor details ironed out and Chosse the system that fits your budget, what you are trying to achive and what will be the best bang for the buck as I said this is a dission you will live with for the next 10-20 years or however long you live in the home.

if your going to be using lp i would want a dual fuel system .a heat pump outside and a trane 803 thermostat with a outdoor sensor. if you do not go dual fuel then get a 95 % efficiency furnace like the xv 95 or the xt 95
    We really need change now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast