+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RTU burner cutting in and out

Post Likes

RTU burner cutting in and out

Unit: Lennox GCS16-411-100-1P Packaged rooftop

So the burner on this rooftop unit keeps cutting in and out when it first starts. I inspected the heat exchanger for any holes but didn't see any; although the style of heat exchanger makes it difficult to fully inspect.

As soon as the flame drops out the ignitor fires again and the burner lights so the flame sensor is working correctly. Voltage is continuous to the gas valve through all of this so its not the ignition module.

I put my manometer on the outlet of the gas valve but naturally I couldn't reproduce the problem at that point. The customer says the unit will run for a while and then lockout and then eventually come back on.

Im wondering if the flame is getting blown out by something (the building is on the shore of Lake Ontario and its been very bad weather lately) or if the gas valve is having trouble staying open despite proper voltage.

Hazard a guess.

Heres a link to a video of the problem. http://s38.beta.photobucket.com/user...e26ae.mp4.html

Post Likes
    I think this one is more for the pro technical forum.

Post Likes
    nice rifle

Post Likes
    Nice video, or random pics of you and chicks, whichever.

Post Likes
    Is that a Catilina or Bonneville?

Might want to change your photobucket settings to "private"
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    One sick photobucket account

Post Likes
    Gonna have to check gas pressure. If that checks out pull it apart to check exchanger.

Post Likes
    Check flame signal and gas pressures. I have had momentary voltage drops at the wiring connection on limits cause this scenario as well.

Beta

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Is that a Catilina or Bonneville?

Might want to change your photobucket settings to "private"
    Its a Grandville actually. Same thing though. I haven't used that photobucket account in ages hence all the BS in there.

Every time I connect a manometer I cant reproduce the problem. It appears if the flame is going out, then the flame sensor is seeing it and restarting the ignitor and not the other way around which means the flame is going out from an outside source, so to speak, rather than being shut off from flame failure.

I guess i'll have to start changing some parts if i can't get the gas pressure to check out.

Post Likes
    You said you checked the voltage to the gas valve while this is happening. Did the voltage fluctuate when this was happening? I'm wondering if the gas valve coil is bad and dropping in and out. If so, you should see a voltage fluctuation. If the gas valve is good I would suspect something is disrupting the flame. HX, inducer, wind sheer.....etc. You said the weather has been bad. Perhaps something temperature related.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by air1 View Post
    You said you checked the voltage to the gas valve while this is happening. Did the voltage fluctuate when this was happening? I'm wondering if the gas valve coil is bad and dropping in and out. If so, you should see a voltage fluctuation. If the gas valve is good I would suspect something is disrupting the flame. HX, inducer, wind sheer.....etc. You said the weather has been bad. Perhaps something temperature related.
    I didn't really see voltage fluctuation but it happens so quick and my meter doesn't respond instantly, especially in -25C. There is no pilot on this so it just opens the valve and starts the ignitor when it sees flame failure and its only a fraction of a second between dropout and reignition so its really hard to figure out where its coming from. I think i'll just see about switching the gas valve out with something I have laying around to eliminate that possibility.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDecline View Post
    I didn't really see voltage fluctuation but it happens so quick and my meter doesn't respond instantly, especially in -25C. There is no pilot on this so it just opens the valve and starts the ignitor when it sees flame failure and its only a fraction of a second between dropout and reignition so its really hard to figure out where its coming from. I think i'll just see about switching the gas valve out with something I have laying around to eliminate that possibility.
    Try tapping on the valve to see if you can duplicate the problem.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

Post Likes
    Wow. I had forgotten about the Grandville.

Are you seeing any variance in the flame rectification current prior to the unit trying to restart?

Post Likes
    What is the micro amp reading you are getting . Check your flame sensor , I am not 1000 percent sure what you should get on that unit but if you are below 4, I would pull your sensor, clean it, and then check what reading you are getting. IF you are getting 4-5 your sensor is not your problem. I am not familiar with this unit, but it is a start.

Post Likes
    Hey one more thing i thought of after i watchd the video.... This unit is a propane unit and the tank isnt low on propane is it?

Post Likes
    had a unit with issues like that and it was the thermostat. both times unit was a trane with a bay 19 zone sensor. unit would run great while i was there, but when i left it would shut down

Post Likes
    I'd check the flame sensor(or pilot ground), blower leakage to the burner compartment and ignition module.....etc.

Post Likes
    Is there a heater in the compartment for the gas valve on the unit? -25C could be a little cold for that valve.

If all the components are clean for heating, flame sensor, burners, etc...try checking for proper and good ground. I have had some weird things happen without a good and clean ground on those ignition modules.

Post Likes
    X
    Last edited by cjpwalker; 03-29-2013 at 03:14 AM. Reason: open forum...

Post Likes
    Your photos are all over the place. Might want to check them settings so everybody doesn't get to see all. If it is propane temp may be too low even if tank is partially full.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in