Thread: Rheem Question

Rheem Question

I have a 75K BTU Rheem RGPT furnace that was advertised as quiet but is anything but. It has the X-13
    motor that is supposed to be quieter than an AC motor, but the burners are very loud. Can the gas pressure
    be regulated down to reduce the noise, or could one of the three burners be blocked off to reduce the
    overall noise? I would have the original installer do the work.

Thanks.

Is it using natural gas or propane?

I have a propane 60,000-Btuh input that has very noisy burners.

Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post
    Is it using natural gas or propane?

I have a propane 60,000-Btuh input that has very noisy burners.
    It is using natural gas.

Bump

Quote Originally Posted by envsys View Post
    It is using natural gas.
    Bump for another try.

The RGPT is a Classic series 80 AFUE single stage furnace w/ inshot burners. The burners are noisy, always have been. Advantage is they are virtually maintenance free. The quiet series has a dimple on the top left side of cabinet so combustion air can be piped out if desired. It's not a sealed cabinet so IMO- does little to quiet down the furnace.
    A better choice for quiet would have been the RGRB 90+ furnace. With it's sealed doors & 2 piping the furnace, they are extremely quiet.

Rheem's burners have been much silenced since the 34" 80 first came out. Those you'd hear all over the house. The current 80s are among the quieter 80s on the market between a new burner design and the solid front.

I don't know that the X13 would be any quieter than a PSC motor. You don't hear the motor, you hear air noise and if the ducts are undersized or your return air grille is right off the blower, common in small homes & condos, it will be loud. Any furnace would be.

Some pictures of the install might help.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Rheem's burners have been much silenced since the 34" 80 first came out. Those you'd hear all over the house. The current 80s are among the quieter 80s on the market between a new burner design and the solid front.

I don't know that the X13 would be any quieter than a PSC motor. You don't hear the motor, you hear air noise and if the ducts are undersized or your return air grille is right off the blower, common in small homes & condos, it will be loud. Any furnace would be.

Some pictures of the install might help.
    I don't have any pictures, but furnace is in the attic and there is only about 5' of return duct, with two 90's, between the hall ceiling and the furnace. The
    salesman told me the DC motor was quieter than a PSC. Is there any way to insulate the furnace, on the outside of the housing or like I originally thought,
    turn off or plug one of the three burners. The unit could be over sized. Thanks.

Can't shut off a burner. Any blower 5' from the return grille will be noisy. Some kind of liner inside the return duct would help. They could build a box above the return grille, line it with duct liner and connect the 5' return to it.

Are we talking burner or blower noise?
    You shouldn't hear burners if unit is in attic. You may hear the inducer & will definately hear blower.
    Pretty hard to quiet down 1600 cfm w/ a single return.

Quote Originally Posted by precision hvac View Post
    I am confused also.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

You shouldn't hear burners if unit is in attic. You may hear the inducer & will definately hear blower.
    Pretty hard to quiet down 1600 cfm w/ a single return.
    It sounds like the burners. What comes on first the inducer or the burners. I think I hear the inducer, then the burners, then the fan. The
    CFM is only 1200. Also, there are three smaller return ducts besides the one I described. They are further from the unit and I do not
    hear any noise from them.

Inducer- burners- blower is proper sequence of operation.
    How much attic insulation do you have?
    How many square feet is the house?
    Where is the unit located? Over your bedroom?
    Is it isolated by hanging from rafters or is it sitting on the plywood in attic?
    What size are the return duct(s)?
    Did the installer set up the installation (TESP, temp rise, blower speed, etc) or they running it straight out oif the box?
    Was a manual J or D performed?
    Permit?
    Pictures would help.

Inducer- burners- blower is proper sequence of operation.
    How much attic insulation do you have?
    How many square feet is the house?
    Where is the unit located? Over your bedroom?
    Is it isolated by hanging from rafters or is it sitting on the plywood in attic?
    What size are the return duct(s)?
    Did the installer set up the installation (TESP, temp rise, blower speed, etc) or they running it straight out oif the box?
    Was a manual J or D performed?
    Permit?
    Pictures would help.
    The attic has 6-8" of insulation, in Atlanta, Ga
    The house has 1400 sq. ft.
    The unit is over the hallway.
    It is sitting on a plywood floor.
    The main return is 12" round and there are three 3" x 8" returns.
    The installer did set up the installation, but did not do a J, as this was a replacement, nor a permit.