Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Residential AHU's

Does anyone install residential AHU'S at all that company's like Trane and Carrier offer, or just install electric furnace when a customer wants to install a hot water coil ?

Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

What I'm sayin is I want to install a hot water coil in my main duct so what do installers put in for the main fan ? One of these AHU's or an electric furnace? I don't want a geo pump.

Just the blower section of a 2 piece air handler and a hw coil

For a 1700 sq ft house? is this cheaper than just buying a electric furnace for the fan speed control ?

Quote Originally Posted by Budlight-Electric View Post
    For a 1700 sq ft house? is this cheaper than just buying a electric furnace for the fan speed control ?
    it would be basically the same thing as an electric furnace just without the electric heating elements and controls for the electric heaters.
    Heating/Cooling Services Inc.
    www.andersonhvacservice.com

Unless you already have the water coil in hand it might be better all around to just install a hydronic air handler. If no cooling is desired you can get them in heat only versions.

Unless you are going with one of AS/Trane, or Carrier's, high end heat pump outdoor units, I wouldn't bother with their air handlers that have the hydronic heating coil option.
    They are expensive, and depending on your heating capacity requirement, may require a coil that mounts on top of the air handler, rather than inserting within it, making the installed height very tall.
    I haven't looked at the Carrier air handler, but AS/Trane has 2 configurations of hydronic coils for their air handlers. The ones that fit inside the cabinet are more for use as supplemental heat for the heat pump, and may not have enough capacity to be the only heat source in a cold climate.
    For applications where more capacity is needed, they have a coil that fits neatly on top of the air handler, but they make an already tall air handler into a ridiculously tall one.

There are a number of companies that make decent air handlers with built in DX cooling and hydronic heating coils, with or without and integrated pump, and with variable speed blowers.
    First Company air handlers are the most available in my area, but they are a number of brands available in different regions.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

I just want to get one of those new DC fan motors with my unit that's basically it.

I just want to get one of those new DC fan motors with my unit that's basically it.
    Call a contractor, they can get you what you want. There's more than one way to skin a cat, especially with hydronic heating.

I already am a Controls contractor though but only sell control equipment and want to install my own stuff.

DO an internet search. I know of at least 1 brand of hydronic air handler with a ECM motor you can purchase online.

If its bought online then warranty is an issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast