Thread: Amana AMH95 2 stage multi speed vs Goodman GMVM96 Variable Speed Modulating

Post Likes

Amana AMH95 2 stage multi speed vs Goodman GMVM96 Variable Speed Modulating

Looking for advice on choosing between the Amana 2 stage multi speed gas furnace and the Goodman Variable Speed Modulating gas furnace.

I live in a small ranch house, approximately 937 square feet in Upstate NY. I do not more then one heating zone.

Can any one explain the difference between a 2 stage and a modulating and which one may be more appropriate? These two furnaces were suggested by 2 different contractors. One recommended variable speed, one felt it was not necessary.

I am inclined to think modulating may be better but is it overkill for a small house?

Post Likes
    It(modulating) will provide the better comfort.

Post Likes
    OP's biggest challenge is not brand, two stage, or modulating but being sized correctly for such a small zone.

IMO

Post Likes
    Goodman's 2 stage will time to high regardless of need. It can't use a 2 stage stat that will keep it on low. I'd want the modulating with the communicating control. Chances are your dealer will oversize, most do in a tiny house.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Goodman's 2 stage will time to high regardless of need. It can't use a 2 stage stat that will keep it on low. I'd want the modulating with the communicating control. Chances are your dealer will oversize, most do in a tiny house.
    I was under the impression the the modulating with the variable speed fan would give it the option to run between 25-100%. But I have a small, one level, one zone house. So you say the modulating will run on high all the time? So it will not operate as a two stage furnace?

Just very confused on all the terminology, and why two contractors have opposite opinions about whether I need a variable speed fan. Wouldn't the variable speed fan help with the central a/c unit?

Post Likes
    The AMH95 is a 2 stage but times to high after 0-16 minutes based on past cycles. So no long run cycles on gentle low in cold weather. Using the modulating furnace with the comunnicating stat, it will vary based on HOUSE NEEDS.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    The AMH95 is a 2 stage but times to high after 0-16 minutes based on past cycles. So no long run cycles on gentle low in cold weather. Using the modulating furnace with the comunnicating stat, it will vary based on HOUSE NEEDS.
    So is it possible the the modulating combined with the variable speed fan could be more efficient or more "accurate", lets say, based on the current needs in my home? It sounds like with a modulating there's a wider range then that of a 2 stage.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rgatt74 View Post
    So is it possible the the modulating combined with the variable speed fan could be more efficient or more "accurate", lets say, based on the current needs in my home? It sounds like with a modulating there's a wider range then that of a 2 stage.
    Correct... when installed with the matching communicating thermostat as BL mentioned.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Correct... when installed with the matching communicating thermostat as BL mentioned.
    Considering the estimates I've received, after rebates, have the Goodman modulating furnace coming out $200 cheaper then the 2 stage Amana. So it seems like getting more for less. I was just concerned if these features were beneficial or not considering my limited sized home.

So would a modulating furnace operate well in a drafty, lesser insulated house vs. a well insulated house?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in