Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Toller View Post
    Attachment 349891
    You can see it is too close to the deck, too close to the side wall, too close together, and the vent is too short.
    Extending the vent 2 feet would, I expect as someone ignorant on the subject, solve the problem.
    IF it is an acceptable solution.

According to the installation instructions, it can be set up as a single pipe, getting the combustion air from the basement. That would imply (again to an ignorant person) that extending the vent 2 feet wouldn't hurt anything.
    This is wrong for 2 reasons....under the deck and in a corner. I'm surprised the furnaces runs at all.

Prices aren't allowed here.
    what i can tell you is it's not something you want to pay for!
    But.... If you're in the mood to spend money, why not call out another company for a 2nd opinion?

As far as any corrosion is concerned, your unit may be fine! The vent termination should be addressed though.

Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    This is wrong for 2 reasons....under the deck and in a corner. I'm surprised the furnaces runs at all.
    Those and the vent is too short and the pipes are too close together.

When he pulled off the 90 bend (which I didn't know you could do) the pipe was 90% full of ice. Yes, it is amazing it does as well as it does.

If I can't get prices, then what would the normal life on these parts be?

the intake being full of ice only says to me the that it must be recirculating vented gases and must be either extended or re-run alltogether

Quote Originally Posted by Toller View Post
    Those and the vent is too short and the pipes are too close together.

When he pulled off the 90 bend (which I didn't know you could do) the pipe was 90% full of ice. Yes, it is amazing it does as well as it does.

If I can't get prices, then what would the normal life on these parts be?
    Thank you, yes, too close together as well. I completely overlooked that other "little" mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    Is there an actual code that says you can't put vents under and overhang such as a deck, or they must be 36" from inside corners; or is it just a matter of common sense that they prevent proper dispersion of the exhaust?

I am going to have a little chat with the contractor. I can show him in Trane's instructions that the vent is required to project 12" and his is only 7", and that the inlet and vent are required to be 9" apart and his are only 8". But saying that people on line tell me the vents can't be in a corner or under a deck won't be meaningful; I have to point to something like a code or regulation.

Trane says the distance to an overhang and the distance to a corner must comply with code; but I have no idea what they are referring to. Any idea?

Quote Originally Posted by syndicated View Post
    B)36" is code, however the install manual will indicate if there's any other considerations.
    Can you cite the code? I realize you are in Canada, but if 36" is required in Canada, then it is documentation that my 11" is inadequate. Maybe not illegal, but clearly improper.

36" isn't necessarily code here, most manufacturers I have seen, excluding trane, as I have only installed 4 of them ask for 36" off an inside corner to prevent recirculating gasses if the wind is coming down that wall.
    If you're going to extend your vent to the edge of your deck, then that is a moot point since the termination won't be inside that "pocket" anymore.

Regarding your longevity question, ideally the heat exchanger an burners last 15-20 years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12