+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WSHP issue

Post Likes

WSHP issue

Today I worked on a mcquay water source heat pump that was tripped on high head upon my arrival. Standing pressures were in an acceptable range so I reset the the unit. The unit kicked on immediately and ran fine with normal pressures and amp draws and TD across coil. After running fine for 10 minutes the head pressure spikes to past 350 and trips off on high head. Unit has a cap tube and low SH. The property manager said that the unit has never really worked properly since it was installed. I figured that there was a restriction in the water lines, but when I checked the strainers they were clean. Also acceptable delta T on the water. Could it be a bad reversing valve? Doesn't make sense how everything runs steady for more than 10 minutes and then boom, head pressure is through the roof. Any ideas?

Post Likes
    What was your suction pressure?? What kind of freon we talking about? Where you running in heating or cooling?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    And a model number would be good.

Post Likes
    cool or heat mode? you have any pressure readings?
    RTFM!!!

Post Likes
    60psig suction and 250psig head while running in cooling mode. This particular unit is never used for heating. I do not have a model number. R22

Post Likes
    "Acceptable delta T on the water" is kinda vague. What are entering and leaving water temps? Both immediately after startup and when unit trips.

Post Likes
    sounds like --- restriction, but I am preaching to the chior.

Post Likes
    Water in is 68 and water out is 81

Post Likes
    Even if they don't use it in heat mode, what happens if you run it in such. Sames as in cool and spikes? Might be worth trying.

Post Likes
    Maybe your water reg valve acting up??? Also double check your temp across filter dryer.

Post Likes
    Yeah I agree with grkmano. If u have a control valve for your condenser water it might be closing on you. Also need to check your circuit setter if u have one to make sure it's not restricting your water flow. You might have a liquid line restriction somewhere. Good
    Luck buddy.
    RTFM!!!

Post Likes
    Is this the type that uses a thermistor to control the expansion valve?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ncboston View Post
    Is this the type that uses a thermistor to control the expansion valve?
    He said it was a cap tube system... so has to do either filter dryer or water reg.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=RustyShakleford;15068681]Today I worked on a mcquay water source heat pump that was tripped on high head upon my arrival. Standing pressures were in an acceptable range so I reset the the unit. The unit kicked on immediately and ran fine with normal pressures and amp draws and TD across coil. After running fine for 10 minutes the head pressure spikes to past 350 and trips off on high head. Unit has a cap tube and low SH. The property manager said that the unit has never really worked properly since it was installed. I figured that there was a restriction in the water lines, but when I checked the strainers they were clean. Also acceptable delta T on the water. Could it be a bad reversing valve? Doesn't make sense how everything runs steady for more than 10 minutes and then boom, head pressure is through the roof. Any ideas?[/QUO

is this running from a well? on a closed loop system? open loop? about how many other units are running on the same condenser water system? i feel for some reason your loosing water flow out of no where, may be due to an electronic water valve opening to another unit somewhere else? or your circuit setter/ water regulating valve is acting up,that has been mentioned previously. also does the pressures start to fluctuate before shooting up? while the high side shoots up to 350 psig what does the low side do? does the unit look like its pumping down due to bad txv? there are alot of probabilities.

Post Likes
    if you could calculate GPM through the condenser you would know if lack of flow is causing the head pressure increase. Check for plugged or limed up tubes in the condenser coil as well.

Beta

Post Likes
    Haven't been back since I got pulled last week. The space is currently unoccupied office so the job was pretty low priority. I'm scheduled to go back tomorrow to continue working on it. It seems like a water flow issue however I maintain my TD throughout the cycle. We also have our engineer going over design specs to make sure that it is not flawed. This may be the case as the unit has never worked properly since it was installed. I will report back tomorrow with details.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in