Post Likes

Baud Rate JCI Fx JACE

Hello

Does anyone know if the JCI PCV 1630 VMA will 'auto baud' itself to a 76800 trunk?

There is an existing BACnet trunk that contains some Alerton equipment, and I would like to retro fit with JCI Fx controllers.. But I dont know if the JCI Fx will like the baud rate.. I think they come out of the box at 38k?

Post Likes
    If it's like an MS-VMA1630, then it will come out of the box configured for auto baud rate, so you should be fine.

Post Likes
    I actually got the PCG controller to come online by setting the baud to 76800 and changing a setting in PCT for the BACnet communication to be ANSI X3_4. This is a setting I found in workbench that was already set up on the JACE by the last contractor here for the Alteron controllers. The default BACnet com settings for JCI appears to be ISO...something

I was also worried this existing communication string wouldn't work because its only a 2-wire, not a 3-wire Rs485; but the device is online and there doesn't appear to be the need for a redundant communication network that I can see! Its a puny little office building under 40 devices..

Thanks for the reply!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryHub View Post
    I was also worried this existing communication string wouldn't work because its only a 2-wire, not a 3-wire Rs485; but the device is online and there doesn't appear to be the need for a redundant communication network that I can see!
    From my understanding the third wire is not a redundant communication network but a signal reference, most two wire systems use the ground reference as their signal reference as well.

kontrol out
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Open protocols? You can't handle open protocols!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kontrolphreak View Post
    From my understanding the third wire is not a redundant communication network but a signal reference, most two wire systems use the ground reference as their signal reference as well.

kontrol out
    Here is a reasonable discussion on 2 wire vs 3 wire

http://www.chipkin.com/rs485-cables-...wo-wire-rs485/
    "There is plenty of room at the top because very few people care to travel beyond the average route. And so most of us seem satisfied to remain within the confines of mediocrity." -- Benjamin Nnamdi Azikiwe, first president of Nigeria

"It's not the customer's job to know what they want." -- Steve Jobs