Is infinity controller worth it for 58MVC100 furnace

Hi here is my situation.

I have a 58MVC100 furnace that was installed 2.5 years ago and I wish I had known more about this stuff then because I am a bit ticked off by how it is set up.
    There is a couple cheap single stage heat and cooling thermostats that are hooked up to a Honeywell Zone controller board (HZ322) and the zone dampers are connected with 2 wires (common and closed).

I had an HVAC guy come in to quote me a humidifier and what I am learning now is that the capabilities of my 58MVC are being wasted by this setup. The ideal situation would be to switch out the controller and stats to use the Infinity controller and slaves which also means replacing the zone dampers with 3 wire (power open and close). However doing all this is quite a bit more than I had hoped to spend.

Another alternative, I had thought about is go ahead with the humidifier but upgrade my thermostats to ones that could do 2 stage heat as well as humidity control like the nest (yes there are enough wires). Going this route is quite a bit less.

I would love some thoughts as to my dilemma. Would I get back my investment if I go with the Infinity? How much better is that than my other alternative. Staying with my current thermostats is not an option because I want the humidity to be controlled from the thermostat (don't want to be turning a dial in the garage every now and then).

thanks,
    Carlos

The Infinity is a fine setup, it gives you a finer degree of control of comfort in a house.
    Payback period? There isn't one.
    Installing an Infinity control and zoning system as part of an HVAC replacement can make a lot of sense when the AC system and furnace are both Infinity compatible.
    A two stage heating thermostat capable of controlling your humidifier will give you much of the comfort control of the Infinity and will not require the replacement of your zoning system.
    I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.
    ― Benjamin Franklin

Inifnity is abotu comfort. The next step down performance series gives the same performance and is nearly as quiet for a little less money. IS it worth it. IMO yes. I have Inifinity in my home and love it. My furnce is even slightly oversized (smallest they make) and it still holds very tight tmemperatures.

Infinity also has nice intergration with humidifiers using outdoor air temperature to reduce humidity levels to prevent condensation or frost on yoru windows in colder weather. As well as amazing summer humidity control.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 01-25-2013 at 06:01 AM. Reason: non AOP member

jfpetesn

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.