+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much $ to ask for as a new apprentice out of trade school?

Post Likes

How much $ to ask for as a new apprentice out of trade school?

Hey Everyone, I've been sending out resumes and answering online ads since I graduated trade school in Dec and finally got a response via email this morning. In their response, they asked me how much I was looking to make. I'm sure they know how much they are willing to pay, so I don't want to price myself too low because I've learned a lot in trade school with a ton of hands-on classroom experience including full installs, wiring and troubleshooting however I don't want to come in too high either since I'm anxious to find a job and getting some real world experience. Even though I excelled in class, I know there is so much to learn and I can only learn in the real world.

So, can anyone give me an idea of what the average pay for a first year, trade school graduate, non union apprentice would be? Although money is not as important to me as the experience at this point, I do have a family and would like to make a fair wage. Thanks!

Post Likes
    Forgot to mention that I'm in New York (Westchester County)

Post Likes
    Let me ask you this. What do you think your worth? Then we can tell you what you really are worth.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    What kind of company is it that emailed you back.
    What I would do is tell them test my skills and tell me what I'm worth to you. If you like there offer stay.
    Any time I hire someone new I always have them out to work with me personally for a day or two and then sit them down and talk about pay. They also have to see if they like working within my company.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    638 scale for a new employee is 11.18. It would probably be hard to get more than that from a legit contractor until you prove yourself.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Let me ask you this. What do you think your worth? Then we can tell you what you really are worth.
    I'd be okay with $15-$16 hr as long as there was an expectation to pay more was I proved myself, I think I'm worth $50hr since that's what I was earning at my last job, but work dried up so I gotta take what I can get right, lol. Realistically, I'd say $18-20 is fair for what I can do, and is what I'd like to get, but as I said, if $15 is what's common, I'd take it and take the opportunity to prove my value to the company.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by grkmano View Post
    What kind of company is it that emailed you back.
    What I would do is tell them test my skills and tell me what I'm worth to you. If you like there offer stay.
    Any time I hire someone new I always have them out to work with me personally for a day or two and then sit them down and talk about pay. They also have to see if they like working within my company.

It was a smaller plumbing and heating company not far from me. I would love the opportunity to work a few days with the owner or manager to show them what I know and the type of worker I am, hopefully I get the opportunity to do so.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    638 scale for a new employee is 11.18. It would probably be hard to get more than that from a legit contractor until you prove yourself.
    Wow, I guess I can understand it being so low if it's a union job since your provided with union benefits, training, and set pay tiers but for non-union I can make more at walmart. I know I need to get my experience somewhere, but don't think I could do it for $11hr non-union, especially here in NY.

Post Likes
    Fresh out of school you probably about 12 bucks an hour give or take. Get your foot in the door and learn as much as you can no matter how little the pay is. After you prove yourself ask for more money and if they say no look for a new job. At least at that point you actually have field experience. You may think you are a good tech from what you learned at school but you haven't even begun and employers know that.

Post Likes
    $12-$14 is all you're worth right now. Prove yourself and the rewards will follow

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe7cri View Post
    Wow, I guess I can understand it being so low if it's a union job since your provided with union benefits, training, and set pay tiers but for non-union I can make more at walmart. I know I need to get my experience somewhere, but don't think I could do it for $11hr non-union, especially here in NY.
    How much will you be making at Walmart in 4 years?

Fresh out of trade school you aren't worth jack.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the help everyone. I ended up sending my reply yesterday, and asked for $17.00hr, the office manager called me this morning and offered $15.25 with a re-evaluation in 3 months. I accepted the offer, and will begin riding with one of their guys starting on the 30th. Wish me luck, I'm very excited to begin getting my feet wet in the real world!

Post Likes
    Good luck and always remember there are mechanics and there are part changers.. choose what you would to be and pursue it.

Post Likes
    Sounds like you did better than most. Good luck

Post Likes
    Congrats Joe is this a union job? The reason for asking is straight out of tech school I was offered $11/hr as an installers helper in a non-union state. Seems like you union guys have it pretty good!

Post Likes
    Non-Union state?

Post Likes
    There's no non-Union states. You must mean non-RTW. Also non-RTW doesn't mean employment-at-will.

Post Likes
    I start guys with trade school at $12 per hour.
    After 90 days I evaluate and it could go up to $15 per hour
    If they show above average skills and the dedication to learn and more importantly are good communicators there earnings can be substantial.
    I have one guy who after 3 years, earned $60,000, the most he ever has.

Post Likes
    Op. What tools do you have? With just " schooling" and maybe some tools.You are not worth much

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MechanicallyInclined View Post
    Non-Union state?
    Sorry, right to work state. We don't talk union around these parts.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in