+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Batch loading headache

Post Likes

Batch loading headache

I have tandem 300 ton 19xrv's using a atmospheric tank serving two different processes. both chillers are set for 40F LCWT with hotgass set at 44 with a 2F diff. One process batch loads and the other goes into high temp alarm at 47F. I know that the chillers aren't designed for batch loading but when the batch process heats up there's no way the chillers can load fast enough to compensate for for the load before the other process goes into high alarm. One of the chillers stays in hotgas until the LCWT reaches 48F even wt the hotgas controller set at 44 wt 2F diff. My thinking is, if i can get the chiller out of hotgas quicker it might help the pull down response. Any ideas how to find a happy median?

Post Likes
    Don't blame the chillers.....Many of us has seen this problem soooo' many times in various industries. The most recent for me was a chemical plant mixing chemical A with chemical B and a extreme isothermic reaction would occur resulting in multiple failure of compressors. The solution was replace the storage tank from one with 2500 gallon capacity to one with 30,000 gallon capacity. The end result was a 300% increase in production of the final product and a payback of less than 6 months total.
    Ain't "None" of us as smart as "All" of us..

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=RichardL;15089841]Don't blame the chillers.....Many of us has seen this problem soooo' many times in various industries. The most recent for me was a chemical plant mixing chemical A with chemical B and a extreme isothermic reaction would occur resulting in multiple failure of compressors. The solution was replace the storage tank from one with 2500 gallon capacity to one with 30,000 gallon capacity. The end result was a 300% increase in production of the final product and a payback of less than 6 months total.[/QUOT

not trying to blame the chillers just looking for some experienced help. I've thought about a expanded tank and pr-cooling the medium. In the deep south its hard to tell a engineer your smarter than he is or that he missed a project by "27,500" gallons. i'm working with what i have on site.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=excessivepurger;15090561]
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardL View Post
    ...In the deep south its hard to tell a engineer your smarter than he is or that he missed a project by "27,500" gallons. i'm working with what i have on site.
    mother nature doesn't care where you live or whether the engineer messed up. facts are facts. 'off the shelf' chillers use a relatively slow decision making process. if you need real quick, then you need a custom chiller with custom controls. i have found that more fluid solves more problems than anything else. more fluid costs more in fluid and in space and in tanks (etc) but it is the cheapest in the long run.

you speak of an alarm....what alarm? on the chiller? in your process? a simple bell and light? perhaps you need to put a timer on your alarm. it starts timing when the temperature hits 47F. if the process STAYS hot for 5 minutes (or whatever) then alarm.
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=jayguy;15090621][QUOTE=excessivepurger;15090561]

mother nature doesn't care where you live or whether the engineer messed up. facts are facts. 'off the shelf' chillers use a relatively slow decision making process. if you need real quick, then you need a custom chiller with custom controls. i have found that more fluid solves more problems than anything else. more fluid costs more in fluid and in space and in tanks (etc) but it is the cheapest in the long run.

you speak of an alarm....what alarm? on the chiller? in your process? a simple bell and light? perhaps you need to put a timer on your alarm. it starts timing when the temperature hits 47F. if the process STAYS hot for 5 minutes (or whatever) then alarm

its a process alarm at 47F when they cool the fermenteter it kills anytype of Pre-alarm

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in