Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Universal pressure switches.

I just purchased a fieldpiece sdmn6. I want to start using universal pressure switches to avoid go backs. How do people feel about universal pressure switches. Does this void warranty? I appreciate everyone's input just trying to save the company time and money, but want to do things right as well. Thanks

Post Likes
    I don't see why it would void a warranty, because how would the mfr know?

Tried to get prior company to do this,but they are stuck in the past.

As long as you can set them up properly, I don't see why it would be an issue. You could also just use it as a temp until you returned at a more convenient time.

Many of the newer equipment have dual p.s., so keep that in mind.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    I have the same set up Fieldpiece sdmn6. I have a pressure switch dial in at .50 but have not used it in the field yet.I don't see a problem as long as you have the proper instruments to calibrate the pressure switch.

Post Likes
    And if you know the setting of the one you are replacing. I keep one in the truck for emergency but most of my calls are 20 minutes at most away so I'd go back with an OEM at some point. I guess my thought is that with a pressure switch if something bad happened I want my butt covered with the oem. It's a pretty crucial safety control.

Post Likes
    Just checked out a youtube on that instrument. In doing so I saw some vid by that Gray guy who keeps posting vids for homeowners to get themselves in jams with furnaces. Anyway he claimed that Trane will not assume liability with any non OEM pressure switch.

Post Likes
    Well now I am thinking I "need" a new tool, probably don't "need" it but I think it would come in handy to know exactly what the switch is set at!

Post Likes
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Post Likes
    The best part of the manometer is that you can test the original switch and KNOW exactly at what pressure it is opening and closing because of the hold function.
    Yes, I've seen that before and it doesn't mean I like it.

Post Likes
    Theres no problem adjusting your own. Id say its the easiest thing to do. Also keeps inventory down because you only need 1 switch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith73 View Post
    The best part of the manometer is that you can test the original switch and KNOW exactly at what pressure it is opening and closing because of the hold function.
    If it is working, otherwise you need to know from mfr.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    How do you know that your electronics are calibrated proper? Do you ever check it against a water column manometer? Why not just use real water in a tube with a ruler to remove all doubt? Or the Dwyer red formaldehyde liquid in their stuff.

Yeah, I know. Just call me a dinosaur. All I'm saying is that all you need is a dollar's worth of clear tubing to do the same thing. And it will always be calibrated.

Post Likes
    I have used them for a couple of years and think they're great! I set them against a magnahelic. I take specific steps to ensure they operate the same as OEM, and to make them tamper proof after setup.

I listed it all out, then saw the open forum...

Post Likes
    Had a universal stick closed on me two days after installation. It was one of the newer style with the marked dial indicating setpoint. Prefer the allen head, .18"wc/turn types-smaller, easier to mount and have never had a problem with one. In either case always check setpoint with manometer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast