+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tecumseh AEA4440AXA HI TORQUE COMPRESSOR

Post Likes

Tecumseh AEA4440AXA HI TORQUE COMPRESSOR

OK so most of my 30 year experience with HVAC has been in large commercial AC units so this little Tecumseh AEA4440AXA R-12 under counter hi temp refer box has got me stumped. Unit pulls down, satisfies & shuts down fine. Off cycle duration is about 12 - 20 minutes. When stat calls for cooling compressor won’t start (cuts out on klixon protection) until the HI - LO press differential is less than 22 psi. Compressor is new & all windings ohm out good, changed overload, start relay & capacitor with no change. By the time compressor is able to start the box temp is too warm. My question is this: With these small high torque compressors, what is the typical HI - LO pressure differential compressors can overcome @ start? Thanks Guys!!

Jim

Post Likes
    I would suggest calling tecumseh for the exact pressure but to me that sounds typical at 20 -30 psig. I'm thinking partially restricted cap tube due your pressure should have equalized within the 12-20 minutes off cycle. I can't say that for sure but seems to me.

Joe S.

Post Likes
    12 minutes is plenty of time for that unit to equalize. I would suspect a restriction also. What are your pressures?

Post Likes
    The high torque models can easily start against a 200 psi differential. They don't need any equalizing time.

What is the supply voltage while it is attempting to start?

Post Likes
    Heres the tech sheet for that pump.

http://www.tecumseh.com/en/united-st...?pdf=datasheet

Whats the SH when running?

Post Likes
    This unit isn't on an extension cord or anything like that is it?? that will create a voltage drop...

Post Likes
    Make sure it's on it's own circuit,worked for coca cola for years,had them baby's all plugged in along with Pepsi coolers and what not,that's a 1/2 hp compressor any kind of voltage drop will cause that.
    if at first you dont succeed,then skydiving is not for you

Post Likes
    We need more details. Is this a single door or multiple door cooler? Model? Manufacturer? Etc.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    The high torque models can easily start against a 200 psi differential. They don't need any equalizing time.

What is the supply voltage while it is attempting to start?
    Thank you for sharing. I assumed the hi torques didnt need much equalizing but didnt know so now I will check the integrity of my voltage. I know I have 116 VAC static (no load) but will check on load integrity next.

Thanks again!
    Jim.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in