Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    If you understood the costs of running an HVAC business, you would realize they are not really "making a killing on labor."
    A legit company with $20/hr technicians billing $100/hr for repairs wouldn't be able to keep its doors open without the markup on the parts associated with those $100/hr repairs.
    100% truth

Agreed.

You must be able to mark up parts otherwise you're going to be going out of business paying those guys 19 dollars an hour very very quickly.

Remember, profit can only happen after all other expenses are paid.

There is obviously a balance to be acheived. On one extreme, you can have a high powered, but incompetent "sell, sell, sell" crew....or you can be the best tech on the planet, work out of your house, and never make a dime.

Those who don't understand "business", are destined to fail at it.
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Quote Originally Posted by AiResearch View Post

IMO, wrenches and oil go nicely with a service ticket hand written and even the occasional smudge. Kinda makes the customer feel like they are dealing with a genuine mechanic.
    Whoa there buddy... Modern society frowns on that!

Quote Originally Posted by clifpaul View Post
    Agreed. Companys gotta pay for gas, auto insurance, maintance on that fleet, liability insurance for the business, lights, water, phones, and other little things that pop up
    If the average public better understood this, this country wouldn't be in the shape it's in today!

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note
    Member of the "Work Exchange Program"
    "Will work for knowledge"

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

While we are talking about communication skills, just for fun, copy and paste that into word and run a grammar and spell check on it........

Quote Originally Posted by Freightshaker View Post
    Whoa there buddy... Modern society frowns on that!
    haha
    I get a feeling you are with me on this

generally I frown on modern society

IMO, wrenches and oil go nicely with a service ticket hand written and even the occasional smudge. Kinda makes the customer feel like they are dealing with a genuine mechanic.
    While my heart agrees with you, my head has me going to a class on Friday on how to use my iPad for sales presentations....
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    While my heart agrees with you, my head has me going to a class on Friday on how to use my iPad for sales presentations....
    As I send from my iPhone.

Shakes head.

Shame on me.

I need to run up to the store now.

For some liquid refreshment (dinner)

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by kamersoutdoor View Post
    If the average public better understood this, this country wouldn't be in the shape it's in today!

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note
    no joke. if bossman cant make any money to pay his bills how am i gonna get paid? neither one of us can work for free.

Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    I'm going to one tomorrow, just got the iPad today.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

haha
    I get a feeling you are with me on this

generally I frown on modern society
    Oh ya he with ya. If he ain't greasy he ain't happy. If its petroleum based he's a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    Sounds good to me.

As a side note, there really is less durability built into most consumer goods today. It is not an accident that folks will tell you that "they don't make 'em like they used to." It's because they don't.

On the other hand, getting something that is cutting edge is not always best. There is an old aviation expression that says, "never fly the "A" model of anything." It is because the "A." or the first model of any new aircraft is the one with the design flaws that get corrected and redesigned in the following models. The current 737 is several design generations better than the first round of 737 aircraft. Often, this is true with new and "better" design HVAC equipment. My theory is that we the consumer are being used to beta test new goods. For example, I am using Xp on this computer, but it is "service pack three."

This past week, I needed to get a new printer. My old C88+ had printed maybe thirty reams of paper over the last seven years. So, I ordered a new C88+ that will accept my bulk inking system, and I got it cheap under a loyalty program. Sometimes the newest and fanciest stuff is just not the best. The C88+ is the third generation of the C86 design, so like the 737, it is the one you want to fly.

Sometimes it is better to fix than sell, and that requires the knowledge and skill upon which the trade will survive. At least some of the companies are upfront about their business model, by putting "HVAC Sales" on their trucks.

Just don't expect any first round draft picks to be behind the wheel...
    Sounds like the 787 "A series" and the first large scale LiPo batteries!

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast