+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: SERVICE TECHS , ARE YOU A FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICK SITTING ON THE BENCH ?

Post Likes
    Also, if you're good to your employees and you have a good reputation, you don't need to advertise for techs like this. Why can't you find or keep techs?

Post Likes
    HIGH turnover.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ADillon View Post
    if you are making a living off of three calls a day then you have to be over charging your customers or pushing sales on every call. I wouldn't run service for $15 an hour with or without commissions. There are a lot easier, less stressful jobs with no on-call or sales expectations that will pay you $15 an hour. At least where i live. If i wanted $15 an hour i'd go load and unload trucks with a fork lift and be done every day at 5pm
    You're making an apples and oranges comparison. The cost of living in PA is vastly different than in TX.
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ADillon View Post
    Also, if you're good to your employees and you have a good reputation, you don't need to advertise for techs like this. Why can't you find or keep techs?
    Could just be a lack of qualified applicants. My boss did the math and found out he talks to an average of 100 candidates before hiring 1 guy. Between poor driving record, drug testing, background checks, unprofessional appearance and whatever else it is hard to find people. Due to the difficulty we are paid $500.00 for referring techs.

Or it could be because they are crooked and offer a horrible working environment. I don't know either way...just saying they are not all bad.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2141 View Post
    Could just be a lack of qualified applicants. My boss did the math and found out he talks to an average of 100 candidates before hiring 1 guy. Between poor driving record, drug testing, background checks, unprofessional appearance and whatever else it is hard to find people. Due to the difficulty we are paid $500.00 for referring techs.

Or it could be because they are crooked and offer a horrible working environment. I don't know either way...just saying they are not all bad.
    A lot of it has to do with motivation. A real go-getter may welcome the opportunity to work in a performance-based shop....whereas a less motivated person may prefer the straight hourly gig.

The same goes for the company itself....A company that is focused on rapid growth will more likely lean toward performance-based pay, while an established company with a high percentage of commmercial work will tend toward straight hourly.

No one size fits all. And let's face it....precious few employees are self-motivated in a straight hourly shop. How many times have we heard: "I ain't in no hurry, I get paid by the hour!"....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    Yep, it's not for the timid.
    You don't work on chillers being timid. But thanks for the personal insult.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    It doesn't matter if your fixing air conditioners, or flipping burgers....there will always be a push to get the job done as quickly as possible. That's reality.
    Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast.

Post Likes
    Residential work is stressfull!! I hate it!! Rarely do it!! *****, whine, and complain when I do. Yep big baby that's me. I only catch the occasional res boiler once or twice a winter and I'll flop rite on the floor and start flailing about when I do. I respect the guys that do it cause I did it for years. Give me a quiet roof or loud a$$ mech room anytime. I think commission on equipment is cool but on parts? No way. Temptation to be a parts changer to high.

Post Likes
    "performance based pay" in other words car salesman.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    "performance based pay" in other words car salesman.
    What's wrong with being paid by performance, as opposed to being paid by the hour? Performance pay benefits employer and employee. Hourly benefits employee, and can easily screw the employer AND the customer.....

Post Likes
    John, you are correct and that is common sence for most of us. The only time faster is not better is when something is T & M . Otherwise, you should always expect to finish something within a descent amount of time. The guys who take way too long to do things usually are not called as much as the guys who do good work and are hustlers.

Post Likes
    Every employee is on a performance based pay system. If you don't perform and measure up to the standards set forth by the company, they don't have to keep you on the payroll. PBP like you guys are talking about is just a way for employers to shift the risk of doing business onto their employees, and get out of paying a fair wage. Their ideology is simply stated in "You win some... and then you win some more"...

The "first round draft picks" of our industry that the OP refers to are never to be found sitting on the bench. However, in sports, don't the teams with the worst record usually get the first pick?
    Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes
    What's wrong with being paid by performance, as opposed to being paid by the hour? Performance pay benefits employer and employee. Hourly benefits employee, and can easily screw the employer AND the customer.....
    I'm not a salesman. If I was, I would have a job in the office.

Forcing a tech to sell crap to customers is a quick way to have techs selling stuff the customer may not really need, just to keep his job. That is high stress that is completely manufactured by the contractor, and is isn't needed.

I have an almost stress free job (not including dealing with traffic and the weather) and I earn six figures fixing stuff. No sales required. We have salesmen for that.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChillerMan View Post
    I'm not a salesman. If I was, I would have a job in the office.

Forcing a tech to sell crap to customers is a quick way to have techs selling stuff the customer may not really need, just to keep his job. That is high stress that is completely manufactured by the contractor, and is isn't needed.

I have an almost stress free job (not including dealing with traffic and the weather) and I earn six figures fixing stuff. No sales required. We have salesmen for that.
    Who said anything about selling stuff? It can simply be a matter of efficient work practices and technical competence. A guy that can mow down 6 calls a day is certainly worth more than a guy who consistiently does three, with equal call-back ratings and similar call types.

We didn't get where we are by hustling upsells...we got where we are by being prompt, efficient, and competent.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChillerMan View Post
    You don't work on chillers being timid. But thanks for the personal insult.
    It certainly wasn't meant as an insult, I realize not everyone can handle the residential side of it. I work on a far bigger variety of equipment since I do both commercial and resi and refer, a lot more knowledge is needed. I work for a co. that never pressures me to sell, have a great relationship with the owners, and make a very good living, enough to keep me working here.

If the shoe fits.......

Post Likes
    Who said anything about selling stuff? It can simply be a matter of efficient work practices and technical competence. A guy that can mow down 6 calls a day is certainly worth more than a guy who consistiently does three, with equal call-back ratings and similar call types.

We didn't get where we are by hustling upsells...we got where we are by being prompt, efficient, and competent.
    You are rite, as is chillerman. Residential techs should be compensated based on performance not parts sold. Compensation based on parts sold= more parts sold. Hey I get $30 for every variable speed motor I sell. TA da every variable speed motor I see is bad. Not all techs will fall to the temptation but a lot will.

Post Likes

Right, a tech who is organized, timely, and competent, and wants to get even better, is more valuable than a parts changer.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    It certainly wasn't meant as an insult, I realize not everyone can handle the residential side of it. I work on a far bigger variety of equipment since I do both commercial and resi and refer, a lot more knowledge is needed. I work for a co. that never pressures me to sell, have a great relationship with the owners, and make a very good living, enough to keep me working here.

If the shoe fits.......
    In northern wisc. We just dont have enough commercial to do only commercial. I like the diversity of all combined. I have never even seen a chiller within an hour of minocqua, most of our commercial is split systems or rtu.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    Every employee is on a performance based pay system. If you don't perform and measure up to the standards set forth by the company, they don't have to keep you on the payroll. PBP like you guys are talking about is just a way for employers to shift the risk of doing business onto their employees, and get out of paying a fair wage. Their ideology is simply stated in "You win some... and then you win some more"...

The "first round draft picks" of our industry that the OP refers to are never to be found sitting on the bench. However, in sports, don't the teams with the worst record usually get the first pick?
    I agree.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Post Likes
    Sorry, but putting in a commsion for selling crap the customer doesnt need is just an easy way to turn your tech into a parts changer and get your business a reputation for being a hustler. We dont upsell stuff the job doesnt need. If the customer complains about turning the thermostat to different temperatures all day (while youre there fixing something else) and they have a T87, then absolutely suggest a programmable. But dont go in there with the mindset you are going to sell them the world, and dont make your techs do it either!
    Someone mentioned a fan motor when replacing a capacitor. thats not upselling in my opinion. Thats being thorough and making sure the unit is fixed for good. If you fix it once and its done, then you will be referred and you will get more business. If you want to take the customer for all theyre worth, that will be the last time they ever speak your name without putting some choice words in front of it.

Look at each customer as your own parents. Would you do to them what youre expecting your workers to do? NO? Then why are you doing it to someone elses?
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in