Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 137
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,567
    Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    It doesn't matter if your fixing air conditioners, or flipping burgers....there will always be a push to get the job done as quickly as possible. That's reality.
    Here, at least, we strive for a BALANCE between speed and accuracy.

    Callbacks are expensive. Unneeded parts are wasteful. That said, if it takes you 8 hours to change a fan motor, you'd better have some REAL good reasons as to why.

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,645
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Here, at least, we strive for a BALANCE between speed and accuracy.

    Callbacks are expensive. Unneeded parts are wasteful. That said, if it takes you 8 hours to change a fan motor, you'd better have some REAL good reasons as to why.
    I had to pull out the air handler to access the blower compartment.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Chester, PA
    Posts
    511
    Sounds like a typical new school resi service company. We pay you $35,000 a year plus commissions. Don't sign up if you aren't going 'want' to make $65,000 a year ($30,000 in commissions). Sell, sell, sell... always push for equipment change outs even when the only issue is a blower motor. If the customer calls and says you were too pushy with the sales, then you get written up. If you don't sell enough... you get fired. So, here are you 9 calls for the day, you can do 9 calls in 8 hours (including drive time) and not have any call backs, right? If you do, you get written up. You guys do flat rate pay too? Why would the '1st round draft pic' want to go with a company that is following a model for the ****tiest team to play for?

    It's never a good sign when the list of expectations is long as hell and the list of benefits is neglected...

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,645
    With these companies it is generally customer first no matter what. The customer can lie and make outragious statements, dosen't matter - termination no questions asked.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati ohio
    Posts
    252
    I love how everyone is so quick to talk bad about company's like this. You can work for "Joe's heating" and make $15 an hour, or you can work for a company that pays commission and make $15 an hour plus commission on the blown up capacitor or Burnt out motor. Who wouldnt want extra money. I was a skeptic too but realized that I was wrong. We average 3 calls a day. Take as long as you need to do the job properly and thoroughly. There are guys that have had 25 call backs in a year and not being fired.

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,645
    Quote Originally Posted by 2141 View Post
    I love how everyone is so quick to talk bad about company's like this. You can work for "Joe's heating" and make $15 an hour, or you can work for a company that pays commission and make $15 an hour plus commission on the blown up capacitor or Burnt out motor. Who wouldnt want extra money. I was a skeptic too but realized that I was wrong. We average 3 calls a day. Take as long as you need to do the job properly and thoroughly. There are guys that have had 25 call backs in a year and not being fired.
    I'm speaking in worst case scenarios, most companies are good to there employees.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Chester, PA
    Posts
    511
    if you are making a living off of three calls a day then you have to be over charging your customers or pushing sales on every call. I wouldn't run service for $15 an hour with or without commissions. There are a lot easier, less stressful jobs with no on-call or sales expectations that will pay you $15 an hour. At least where i live. If i wanted $15 an hour i'd go load and unload trucks with a fork lift and be done every day at 5pm

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Chester, PA
    Posts
    511
    Also, if you're good to your employees and you have a good reputation, you don't need to advertise for techs like this. Why can't you find or keep techs?

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,645
    HIGH turnover.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sherman, TX
    Posts
    9,441
    Quote Originally Posted by ADillon View Post
    if you are making a living off of three calls a day then you have to be over charging your customers or pushing sales on every call. I wouldn't run service for $15 an hour with or without commissions. There are a lot easier, less stressful jobs with no on-call or sales expectations that will pay you $15 an hour. At least where i live. If i wanted $15 an hour i'd go load and unload trucks with a fork lift and be done every day at 5pm
    You're making an apples and oranges comparison. The cost of living in PA is vastly different than in TX.
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati ohio
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by ADillon View Post
    Also, if you're good to your employees and you have a good reputation, you don't need to advertise for techs like this. Why can't you find or keep techs?
    Could just be a lack of qualified applicants. My boss did the math and found out he talks to an average of 100 candidates before hiring 1 guy. Between poor driving record, drug testing, background checks, unprofessional appearance and whatever else it is hard to find people. Due to the difficulty we are paid $500.00 for referring techs.

    Or it could be because they are crooked and offer a horrible working environment. I don't know either way...just saying they are not all bad.

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sherman, TX
    Posts
    9,441
    Quote Originally Posted by 2141 View Post
    Could just be a lack of qualified applicants. My boss did the math and found out he talks to an average of 100 candidates before hiring 1 guy. Between poor driving record, drug testing, background checks, unprofessional appearance and whatever else it is hard to find people. Due to the difficulty we are paid $500.00 for referring techs.

    Or it could be because they are crooked and offer a horrible working environment. I don't know either way...just saying they are not all bad.
    A lot of it has to do with motivation. A real go-getter may welcome the opportunity to work in a performance-based shop....whereas a less motivated person may prefer the straight hourly gig.

    The same goes for the company itself....A company that is focused on rapid growth will more likely lean toward performance-based pay, while an established company with a high percentage of commmercial work will tend toward straight hourly.

    No one size fits all. And let's face it....precious few employees are self-motivated in a straight hourly shop. How many times have we heard: "I ain't in no hurry, I get paid by the hour!"....
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    Yep, it's not for the timid.
    You don't work on chillers being timid. But thanks for the personal insult.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event