Thread: Amana Commerical Microwave

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Amana Commerical Microwave

Model# RCS- 10 YTS
    115-120volts

Problem- everything functions except the microwave radiation effect

Obviously I called tech support and they ended up saying the magnatron was bag. Note; the unit was pulling 4-5 amps when the original magnatron was in and had it trying to microwave something but nothing.
    The fan cuts on when the door opens and pulls about 0.4 amps but nothing anywhere else. So tech support said ohm the secondary to ground and it should have from 75-95 ohms and it had 85. Remember the fuse inside is fine. Tech support said of all that checks out then it's the magnatron which was under warranty. Got the new part, installed and still nothing. Tech support said it should be pulling around 14 amps at the transformer but nothing. Is there any advice I could get? Door switch works and things like like. It's a simple thing why does it have to be difficult. Thanks

Post Likes
    Did you meter the capacitor? if it is good . get a megometer and check the high voltage diode...(rectifier) if bad replace. good luck Joseph....

Post Likes
    I checked the capacitor rated for 1.08 Uf and I got .80 uF

Post Likes
    .80 is a little low ..Does this unit have a high voltage diode? it is on the output side of the cap to the frame of the microwave?...i would be looking at that...it only allows voltage one way..if it is going both ways(leaking) the mag will not work.....

Post Likes
    It does have one of those from the capacitor to ground, it's kind of insulated about 2 inchs long. How do you check it?

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    I trusted a capacitor once that was a little out of tolerence and ended up on a wild goose chase. It ended up being the problem. With that reading, I'm sure Amana Comserv would tell you to replace it. As creeker66 suggested, a megometer (megohmmeter or megger) can be used to test the high voltage diode.

If you're certain the power transformer is getting its 120, has a good secondary winding (per the ohmmeter) and the magnetron is good, the cap & diode are suspect.

Post Likes
    Thanks ill check it out

Post Likes
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359400846.935212.jpg
Views: 997
Size:  64.0 KB

What do you guys think

Post Likes
    I used a different meter to check the uF rating on the 1.05 capacitor and it's reading 1.3uF

Post Likes
    trim your nails!

Post Likes
    Everybody says that, they grow so fast! I need technical advice not grooming haha

Post Likes
    This microwave sucks

Post Likes
    Have you checked the interlock switch? I had one on the ones that McDonalds uses do the same thing, and the interlock swich was having problems. It looked good and once I swapped it out to test the problem went away

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph12345 View Post
    Model# RCS- 10 YTS
    115-120volts

Problem- everything functions except the microwave radiation effect

Obviously I called tech support and they ended up saying the magnatron was bag. Note; the unit was pulling 4-5 amps when the original magnatron was in and had it trying to microwave something but nothing.
    The fan cuts on when the door opens and pulls about 0.4 amps but nothing anywhere else. So tech support said ohm the secondary to ground and it should have from 75-95 ohms and it had 85. Remember the fuse inside is fine. Tech support said of all that checks out then it's the magnatron which was under warranty. Got the new part, installed and still nothing. Tech support said it should be pulling around 14 amps at the transformer but nothing. Is there any advice I could get? Door switch works and things like like. It's a simple thing why does it have to be difficult. Thanks

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by caheiman30 View Post
    Have you checked the interlock switch? I had one on the ones that McDonalds uses do the same thing, and the interlock swich was having problems. It looked good and once I swapped it out to test the problem went away
    This ^^ we have 20 of these, last one had a loose door switch, intermittently working, I hate these Amanas, but when they get replaced under warranty for lots of repairs, they sure make sweet targets.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by texasgentleman2 View Post
    This ^^ we have 20 of these, last one had a loose door switch, intermittently working, I hate these Amanas, but when they get replaced under warranty for lots of repairs, they sure make sweet targets.
    I deal with 16 stores, with some having 3 while most have 2, plus at least 5 backups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in