Thread: Martin Pevzner Engineering

Post Likes

Martin Pevzner Engineering

My name is Chad Martin, Engineer/Owner at Martin Pevzner Engineering

We are a Consulting Engineering Firm in Minnesota.

Looking forward to contributing here!
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    welcome aboard

we could have lived without the shameless plug
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dandyme View Post
    welcome aboard

we could have lived without the shameless plug
    Just Identifying myself and establishing credentials. Business is business. I doubt there is anyone here because it is their hobby or pastime..

Post Likes
    So you guys are engineers who design hvac systems then have the work subbed out for installation or do you have install crews?

Post Likes
    I guess i don't mean to tiptoe the line with regards to forum rules. I can't edit my original post but if a Mod wishes to remove my company name I wont be offended. It is my ultimate intent to become a "Pro" Member and perhaps an advertiser.

We are primarily specifiers and designers but we also are much more hands on and stick around long after construction is complete to ensure systems are working properly. (Somewhat unusual for an engineer) We also do controls programming work for our customers. But, no, we are not contractors.

Post Likes
    While my intent is to represent my Company, some personal info about me:

I am a Mechanical Engineer and have been in the business for 14 years. I am a P.E. and have designed and certified lots of projects, air side systems, boiler plants, chiller plants, plumbing, energy recovery systems, etc. I have primarily designed retrofit of existing facilities, the majority being K-12 schools, but also condo/loft remodeled buildings, military buildings, housing facilities and higher education facilities.

I am a pretty hands on type guy and in my spare time build and race sports cars, primarily Mazda Miatas and RX-7s.

Post Likes
    Question- how dirty does a enegy recovery wheel have to be before replacing? What I mean is fully discolored or just dirty around the edges?

Post Likes
    Having a visually dirty ER wheel would alarm me as their should be filters (at least MERV 8) upstream on both sides. But in reality no filter is 100% efficient so...eventually they will get dirty. Probably they need to be cleaned even more often than a visual inspection would indicate.

I always take into consideration removal of the wheel during design so it can be cleaned. I would defer to the manufacturer for recommended cleaning procedures and it depends on the type of wheel (primarily the manual that came with it should have this info).

Abnormally high pressure drop across the wheel, low transfer of moisture/humidity, and loss of overall latent effectiveness (temp rise across the wheel for both airstreams) would indicate a dirty wheel. And as with most things I would recommend it is done on a basis of time in service, AKA regularly scheduled, rather than monitoring these things.

If performance permanently degrades via those indicators and cleaning does not help then I would recommend replacement.

Post Likes
    Allright good awnser, I have about six here that are in need of servicing we use merv 8's or better but as you say they do bypass. I need to get em out and really go thru them and have the bosses spend some cashola.

Post Likes
    nothing wrong with the intro-just bustin' your balz.

but since you did bring it up; that ME is like a big old bullseye,......
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    I figured as much. I can handle it. I love working with good pros from all areas of the industry. In this business the successful are all after the same goal. Making it work, and work well for our customers.

I do not reside in an Ivory Tower...

Post Likes
    Hi Marvin. I'm Ken. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy to hear about an engineer who will see it through to the end instead of pass all responsibility (blame) on to the contractor. At least that's how I interpreted your statements.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in