Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Frown I dare you, post one of yours!

Ok, so I did this... why? I was replacing B-I-L's compressor in Tucson and thought to myself that I should not heat the check valve on the exit port of the Copeland scroll compressor using my swirl jet torch... After all it was 110F in the shade that day. I didn't bring the oxy/acetylene rig with the number 0 torch tip that does such pinpoint precision brazing. Sooooo, I used the purple stuff in my tool bag to connect the high pressure tubing. Then when I went to Johnstone a couple of days later I noticed that their stuff was RED!!! not PURPLE!!! The stuff in my tool bag was old and it lasted about a week before this photo arrived on my cell phone from upset B-I-L. I hurried back down to Tucson with the right torch kit and some tubing and a flare tool and twelve pounds of R22 and some oil to (fit, braze, leak test, evac, charge) make things right.

Name:  !cid__112.jpg
Views: 1646
Size:  23.1 KB

what is 'purple stuff'....for that matter, what is 'red stuff'?
    How to make the perfect "Half-Hitch" knot or any other boyscout knot in 3 easy steps...

1. Remove your meter leads from the meter and very carefully return them to their storage case or bag.
    2. Wait 2 seconds
    3. Very carefully remove your meter leads from their storage place and enjoy your new knot!

Newbies!
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

This stuff, and I've used it with fantastic results on several units that I installed (compressors) in 2009. The problem was with using it in 2010 when it had been in my truck tool bag for about 8 months too long.

Name:  HVAC Super Pro Copper Bond.JPG
Views: 611
Size:  28.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    what is 'purple stuff'....for that matter, what is 'red stuff'?

How old are you? I've been doing HVAC repairs for 35 years.

is this a joke? you seriously use this stuff? im not trying to be a jerk here but i can't imagine using glue to repair a refer circuit. on the other hand if this stuff works i am all ears!
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

Bought some Friday and it is purple straight out of bottle. Do not use on soft copper. I use it for copper drain lines on RTUs. So so results on refrigerant lines probably due to me and not product.

Quote Originally Posted by rglasgow View Post
    Bought some Friday and it is purple straight out of bottle. Do not use on soft copper. I use it for copper drain lines on RTUs. So so results on refrigerant lines probably due to me and not product.
    drain lines fine.

I've seen this product before.

I will openly say this:

If you have to use a solvent bond for a refrigerant circuit you are either 2 things. Extremely inexperienced and you should not be in your own van, or your a hack.

Either one, your call.

I've whipped out my turbo torch and thrown fire up in finished walls, brazed in compressors, whatever. I've only been in the trade for 8 years, never had an uncontrolled fire.

I don't have a problem with someone using it for a drain line. Thats just a speed thing for non-pressurized piping, no harm there.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Quote Originally Posted by benatwhodotnet View Post
    i have been in the business for over 20 years...i don't use glue. i braze so i didn't know what it was. i have heard of it, but it seemed a little too 'home depot/kindergarten' for me. i know what color it is now...red is new...purple is old. thanks!

i love this line from their website: NOTE: The I. D. of couplings and fittings must be 0.010 inch larger than the O. D. of the tubing being bonded for a proper bond.

i am sure the product works ok on brand new, never-been-used-before type of copper but i wonder how well it works in the field where there is a little bit of oil you don't see or some debris...stuff like that.
    How to make the perfect "Half-Hitch" knot or any other boyscout knot in 3 easy steps...

1. Remove your meter leads from the meter and very carefully return them to their storage case or bag.
    2. Wait 2 seconds
    3. Very carefully remove your meter leads from their storage place and enjoy your new knot!

It seems like I remember another thread about this a while back. Stuff was red, joints held for a few months and blew apart.

doing it that long and still admit to using "purple stuff" on a scroll discharge line????????

i have been at it for over 40 years and would not even think of gluing a discharge line together.

I used this a few times on drain lines worked like a charm.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I hurried back down to Tucson with the right torch kit and some tubing and a flare toolName:  !cid__112.jpg
Views: 1646
Size:  23.1 KB
    What did you use the flare tool for?
    You can't learn a thing with your mouth open.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast