Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by simux View Post
    When it applies to Control Technicians I always use the 80 - 20 rule. In my experience only 20% of the people who try to make it in controls have the desire. It takes a smart, driven, obsessive, and motivated person who hates to be defeated. The type of person who feels like the real learning starts after they get off work. The person who has a complete mock control system in their garage. Someone who reads multiple books on motors and motor controls, electrical fundamentals, refigeration, boilers, etc...Someone who reads HVAC-TALK
    Couldn't have said it better !!!

Thanks for the input guys, it confirms why my eye began twitching and the tightness in my chest after the meeting.

at least you got a guy to carry your stuff around
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

Totally understand the eye twitch and chest pains. I've been told that were going to give you some bodies to install control systems. Then they expect that these newbies are going to automatically make you more productive. "Well you have two more guys so you should be getting twice as much work done now." You'll never be able to explain how long it takes to train a controls guy?????

I would rather be ran over by the bus some days. I am thinking it would hurt less.

Totally understand the eye twitch and chest pains. I've been told that were going to give you some bodies to install control systems. Then they expect that these newbies are going to automatically make you more productive. "Well you have two more guys so you should be getting twice as much work done now." You'll never be able to explain how long it takes to train a controls guy?????
    When asked "How long is this gonna take?" I always answer with it depends on what your giving me this time

Hey chris the only problem with your statement is people without controls experience think that more bodies equal more work. They think if they put someone with you that the magical controls dust will rub off on them.

When the boss asks me this I tell him he better catch the bus driver as he will probably looking for a job after running me over.

kontrol out
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Open protocols? You can't handle open protocols!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE

Totally understand that KontrolPhreak, bosses think that someone's going to walk off the street and be good to go. I've seen people leave a company and the boss tries to convince everyone that were better off without them. At that point I'd like to help the boss "Get run over by a bus"

I don't think it's possible to train this guy in a year. There's just no way. Even someone with the necessary drive and intelligence would have a hard time being competent in only a year. 2 to 3 years depending on the person.

Hey chris the only problem with your statement is people without controls experience think that more bodies equal more work. They think if they put someone with you that the magical controls dust will rub off on them.
    Working for a Mechanical with a Controls division now and believe me I can relate to what you are saying..... Now if I could only find that Easy Button that they talk about, life would be mo better.

Ask yourself one question:

Given the opportunity to hire other candidates, would hire this person. Unfortunately you're not sellin' me on this one. With that in mind, you can only do so much as the rest will be up to him.

The only problem is as long as this person is in your organization your backs going to hurt. Because your going to have to carry him for the next 5 years or so. I just wish bosses would suck it up and pay their experienced personnel what there worth!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12