Checking Heat exchanger
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Checking Heat exchanger

I am just curious..... Does your company or the company you work for include checking the heat exchanger in the diagnostic fee or is it a separate charge?

For a typical heating clean and check, we include it in our price. Its a safety issue if the customer has a cracked heat exchanger.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC AIR View Post
    I am just curious..... Does your company or the company you work for include checking the heat exchanger in the diagnostic fee or is it a separate charge?
    We are required to check every heat exchanger on every call no matter if it is a tune up or service call including a/c season at no extra charge.

Maybe they had a law suit before and now just do it no matter what just to be sure.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

for sure a SAFETY issue!!!! Check it always.

I always check heat exchanger for safety and replacement business. Doing. A good job pays in more then one way.

Yep every heat exchanger every call even if we're there to check the ac.

If it's easy enough yes, but if it's a downflow Trane then not unless we suspect it.

If you pull the burner assembly and rust falls everywhere, it's a good idea to check the HX.

Now the real question.. How many of you will poke at the rust spots with your finger to see if it falls through?

Quote Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
    If you pull the burner assembly and rust falls everywhere, it's a good idea to check the HX.

Now the real question.. How many of you will poke at the rust spots with your finger to see if it falls through?
    If its that rusty I'm going to be just like a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by Strkout499 View Post
    If it's easy enough yes, but if it's a downflow Trane then not unless we suspect it.
    I would be willing to damn near bet a months pay that nearly every trane 90% trane ages 3-11 is cracked. there will be a class action lawsuit coming soon. the youngest one we have found was 13months old.

Thank all of you for replying.....The question is not whether or not to check it. Of coarse it gets checked no matter what , However is it part of the NORMAL diagnostic fee. Damn 2141 I know for a fact that most techs that come up to a unit that new really do not check the heat exchanger. scary....

Quote Originally Posted by MAC AIR View Post
    Thank all of you for replying.....The question is not whether or not to check it. Of coarse it gets checked no matter what , However is it part of the NORMAL diagnostic fee. Damn 2141 I know for a fact that most techs that come up to a unit that new really do not check the heat exchanger. scary....
    To be honest I used to not check "young" furnaces either. I seen a 6yr old Bryant secondary rotted last week. Now I check them all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast