Thread: Why is my electric bill so high for my lakehouse? Electric heater? Using 2545 kwh

Post Likes

Why is my electric bill so high for my lakehouse? Electric heater? Using 2545 kwh

Hi, I need some help. We just bought a lakehouse in MO and we spent 4-6 days out of 30 there last month. The refrigerator and a clock is on all of the time and the heater is set as low as it will go (~45) when we are not there. The first bill showed that we used 2545 Kwh of electricity and the bill was $188! We were there for 4 days! Could it be the heater? The home is an A-frame that's about 1000sq ft or less-it's just one big room with a loft. We have the vents closed in the loft. When we get there and turn up the heat (to 60 or 62) the house heats up within 3-5 minutes and shuts off and then runs periodically while we are there. We turn it down below 60 when we sleep - love it cold for snuggling ( I know...TMI.) Anyway...is it possible that we used up THAT MUCH electricity in such a short amount of time? What can we do to cut our bills? I tried to talk to the electric co about the high kwh, but he just said we needed to get used to it. huh? No TV, washer/dryer, internet, etc. is used.

Post Likes
    If you have straight electric heat then yes that probably is normal.

Post Likes
    Moved thread to AOP Residential

Post Likes
    water heater or well pump?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    water heater or well pump?
    Yep, A water heater with a leaking T&P can give you a big bill quick.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cbeaumont View Post
    Hi, I need some help. We just bought a lakehouse in MO and we spent 4-6 days out of 30 there last month. The refrigerator and a clock is on all of the time and the heater is set as low as it will go (~45) when we are not there. The first bill showed that we used 2545 Kwh of electricity and the bill was $188! We were there for 4 days! Could it be the heater? The home is an A-frame that's about 1000sq ft or less-it's just one big room with a loft. We have the vents closed in the loft. When we get there and turn up the heat (to 60 or 62) the house heats up within 3-5 minutes and shuts off and then runs periodically while we are there. We turn it down below 60 when we sleep - love it cold for snuggling ( I know...TMI.) Anyway...is it possible that we used up THAT MUCH electricity in such a short amount of time? What can we do to cut our bills? I tried to talk to the electric co about the high kwh, but he just said we needed to get used to it. huh? No TV, washer/dryer, internet, etc. is used.
    Yes, it's straight electric heat, no gas.
    Water heater - electric - whole house is electric, no gas.
    What's a T&P?
    We did have a water leak (drain from water heater - fixed this past weekend) and we had a malfunctioning waste grinder - also fixed - 2 weeks ago.

Post Likes
    do you shut the water heater off when not there? keeping water hot for a month in a cold house could be a big part of your bill.

and what is the waste grinder? is it a garbage disposal under a sink or macerator pump for the whole house? if that was sticking on it could use a lot of electricity.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cbeaumont View Post
    you heat from 45 to 60 in 3-5 minutes?

Either I call shananigans, or your equitment is GROSSLY oversized, and your running on straight electrics strips with no heat pump.

All that other stuff you posted later isn't helping either.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    Yes, we turn off the water supply and the water heater when we leave.

Not sure what it's called, but it grinds the waste from the toilets after you flush.

Call it what you want, hvacvegas, but it's true, the house heats up in less than 5 minutes. The house is like an efficiency apartment - when you walk in the front door, you are standing in the kitchen, the dining room and the living room at the same time. You can see the whole tiny place from that one door. As to your other comment: "All that other stuff you posted later isn't helping either.", if I knew that, then I wouldn't need to be on this website asking these questions now would I? Maybe your equipment isn't oversized and you don't have experience with this.

Thanks for the polite responses from others.

Post Likes
    One thing is for sure the electric company is not on your side, you need to have your system checked by company, yes you have to pay for that but it might save you money in the long run.

Post Likes
    If your heat comes from electric heat strips inside the air handler they can use 5kw to 10kw of electric per hour.

Post Likes
    I called the electric company again (thanks for the advice, toocoolforschool) and they said they agree something may be wrong. They are going to replace the meter and have the old one tested. I was also informed that if I have an outside outlet to shut it down when I am not there so that no one can use an extension cord and steal our electric (what!?); and that sometimes the meter is misread or mixed up with a neighbor. Since we have the smallest house that I can see for miles, that does make sense.

I apologize for my lack of knowledge on the heat source in my house, SBKold, but I don't know if there are heat strips inside of the handler or not. I just see a heater in the closet and I know that there is a crazy amount of vents in such a small house, which I think is why the house heats up sp quickly. It is also insulated, which is unusual for an A-frame, I'm told.

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 01-23-2013 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Post Likes
    Absolutely! But I'm assuming you are warming a house. Think small apartment. You can drop our entire lakehouse into my current home's living/great room area.

Post Likes
    Toller, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary or ask questions of the OP here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Post Likes
    the ele. co. will tell every 1 that then when it comes down to it they'll say we changed the meter allthough there wasnt anything wrong with the old one!!!
    as has been said get a pro out to go over your system and he can also show you some things about it as well

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in