Trane vs American Standard 14 seer vs 18 seer

I am trying to chose between Trane xl14 and American Standard heat pumps. Both are reputable contractors and offer 10 year parts and labor.

Also, one contractor is recommending an 18 Seer. Is it worth the extra money? I have read that once you get over 14 Seer you may not see much of a difference in utility bills.

Unless you have high electric bills, the premium for these super units is steep and payback may be very long. Where are you and what is your cost per kwh of juice?

Also, as units get larger, SEER goes down so a unit like Heritage 18 or XL19i may be a long ways from 18/19 SEER if you are looking 4-5 ton.

Smile Trane/American Standard

As for the differance between the Trane and American Standard if you are talking same S.E.E.R. then they are about the same as they are made at the same factory. Troup Drive , Tyler, Tx.

As for the unit 14.0 vs 18.0 it will be up to you, the amount of electrical cost would be some lower per month , but cost savings vs equipment cost would most likely be 5-7 year pay back, depending on type of system.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

The only real difference between American Standard and Trane is the top and the color of the powder coat finish. The part numbers for all of the functional parts are the same.
    The top on the Trane units will keep leaves from building up inside the unit, but there are some applications where having the straight up air discharge of the American Standard unit is an advantage though.

As for the difference between the Trane XL14i(or AS equivelent), and the Trane XL19i(or AS equivelent), the main selling point is the enhanced comfort from the 2 stage system.
    It is unlikely, even in a climate like I have here in Texas, that the difference in price will be made up in the energy savings in a reasonable amount of time.

The difference in comfort from the enhanced humidity control and the long first stage run times make it well worth the difference if you can afford it IMO.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

I also am a homeowner living in S.Texas and intend to upgrade to the AS 18 SEER myself. But to justify that I have to go beyond the dollars and cents, if it were strictly economics I would surely go 14 SEER.

In my case I am pleased at the thought of a 1.5 ton AC working when the load is at or below that, and a 3.0 ton AC working when the load exceeds 1.5 ton. This will be put onto a duct system which is somewhat inadequate when carrying 1400 CFM (3.5 ton system now, will downsize). Am looking forward to running most of the time with only about 600 CFM pushed through those ducts, more constant air circulation and I expect some comfort improvement.

You have an opportunity to right-size your AC before purchase. If it is oversized you might have short periods of cold air blowing which potentially could be uncomfortable. Oversizing would probably mean poor humidity removal and somewhat less efficiency. You might already have a marginal duct system as so many do, one way to explore that would be to measure your ESP (External Static Pressure) -- if it's low enough then you probably are OK. Many houses have oversized AC, if that is your circumstance then you can help it by shifting down to a more correct size. But these concerns have nothing to do with SEER and everything to do with airflow. Except... the 18 SEER product is only available in whole-ton sizes, so if your ideal size is a half ton then you will be steered into being the next tonnage size higher. The 14 SEER product is available in more sizes, as is every single-stage AC.

Hope this helps -- Pstu

I live in southern Ohio. This is new construction so hopefully the duct work will fit correctly.

Thanks to this site, I am having a Manual J done to make sure I am buying the appropriate equipment. Unfortunately, the area I live in, all of the contractors have "rule of thumb" equations to figure that I need a 5 ton unit downstairs and a 3 ton unit up.

The cost difference in my area to upgrade to 18 Seer is approximately $5,000.

I also have the option of Geo, but it seems too expensive at $14,000 more than 14 Seer heat pumps.

XL16i

You may want to look at the TRANE XL16i as a step between the 14i and the 19i unit. It has the 2 stage feature similar to the 19i, it gets great SEER ratings and if you go with a Heat Pump it offers a great HSPF ratings. This is a great system to have for home comfort and dehumidification. It is one of most popular systems in our area.