Page 1 of 10 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: THPRE

Post Likes

Confused THPRE

I purchased a new Goodman 16 seer heat pump,it was installed late summer of 2010. Made cool air but come winter had to remove refergerant because of high pressures. Then have to add it in the spring and remove every winter since. Installer has replace three tx valves and one drier. All to no avail. My installer knows less about refergeration theory than I do [ I am fairly knowledgable] and he does not even understand the function of a compensator. Goodman will not talk to me and they do not have a factory representitive available in our area.But we do have a telephone conference set up for the end of this week - friday.
    I would like any thoughts as to possible solutions and possibly the differences between compensators and recievers. Also what is a static regain collar and does it pertain to my situation? Thanks
    Last edited by BaldLoonie; 01-22-2013 at 05:27 PM. Reason: removed email address

Post Likes
    What are the model numbers of the indoor coil and outdoor unit?
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Post Likes
    What comfort doc is alluding to is the "match" of the indoor and outside equipment as your discription sounds like a mismatch. You did replace all the indoor equipment at same time didn't you? (Coil, exp. valve etc.).

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by comfortdoc View Post
    What are the model numbers of the indoor coil and outdoor unit?
    I not have the numbers here at work with me but Goodman did say that the two units were compatible when I had a third party check the system and advise me. Then they said they would only help the original installer. I can get the numbers tonight, Thanks , THPRE

Post Likes
    The complete unit was all new in 2010. Goodman claims that the two units are compatible. It is a four ton unit in a 2500 sq. ft. mobile home with extra insulation. Home has been tested for tightness and insulation --- both are very good. Had to install a power vent for air exchange. Installer has replaced the inside tx valve twice and the outside on once. Also the drier was replaced. Compensator or reciever was not replaced. Neither coil has been replaced and goodman claims they are matched.

Post Likes
    Lineset sizes would be nice too.

Post Likes
    Did they ever check static pressures and cfm?

Post Likes
    I'm not sure I've ever seen a 2500 sq. ft. mobile home. What kind of ductwork do you have and where is it installed? Does your home still have the original small aluminum ductwork sandwiched into floor bracing? Toocool is asking for static pressure for a reason if existing ductwork is being used for a 4 ton system. My guess would be excessive static pressure and inadequate air flow causing the freon problems, not the equipment. Other than the fact that Goodman does not make units rated for mobile home use (that I know of anyway). Most mobile home ductwork is grossly undersized for standard residential units.

Post Likes
    We initially had lots of duct problems - they did not even have a plenum under the air handler and so flow was not good to say the least. On top of that the ducts were very leaky. Now cfm and static tests have been repeated and duct work has been modified three times and a plenum added. Air flow is finally moderately acceceptable. Cooling and heating performance is reasonable but requires different refergerant charge every season. The system has never worked even once through the change of season. I do not have with me the actuall numbers for cfm or static tests. I also do not know the copper refergerant line sixes but they are close to 5/16 liq. and 1/2 suction. I would have to measure when I get home.

Post Likes
    The home is a tripple wide approx 60 feet long. he ducts were terrible. But a plenum has been added and three aux. soft ducts 16 in. dia. have been added. These go to supply the three sections and now the air flow is satisfactory. Good man was advised of the size and heat load of this home. It does have lots of windows . A separate tester has been doing the static tests and they also made the last modification to the ducts. I think air flow is sufficient now. And remember the heating is fine and the cooling is fine but not with the same refergerant charge.

Post Likes
    Post full model number of outdoor unit and indoor unit when you get home. Along with actual line set size.

Sounds like under sized duct work, and possibly and under sized line set.

Post Likes
    Just keep fixing it untill my money or patience runs out!! Never mind fixing the problem! Good thing I have a good woodstove and plenty of wood.

Post Likes
    I offer 3-1 odds that the indoor coil is incorrect, even if it's a "match".
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    I offer 3-1 odds that the indoor coil is incorrect, even if it's a "match".
    A 2 R instead of a 3 R.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    A 2 R instead of a 3 R.
    yep, exact situation that we discussed in the past, is what I'm thinking.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    Did you use origional blower motor that came with trailer and just replace the coil that sits on top?

Did the goodman techline guy ask about static regain collar? Basically that pertains to their one piece airhandlers and acts as an extension of the blower outlet. Personally I haven't seen goodman publish data about regain.

A compensator holds (stores) refrigerant inside during heat and releases it back in cool. Recievers aren't typically used in residential and I don't believe they are used with heat pumps (i could be wrong) .

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    Did you use origional blower motor that came with trailer and just replace the coil that sits on top?

Did the goodman techline guy ask about static regain collar? Basically that pertains to their one piece airhandlers and acts as an extension of the blower outlet. Personally I haven't seen goodman publish data about regain.

A compensator holds (stores) refrigerant inside during heat and releases it back in cool. Recievers aren't typically used in residential and I don't believe they are used with heat pumps (i could be wrong) .
    Goodman's been back and forth with receiver/accumulators. I do not believe the 2010 model has either.

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    i know some people called what you are referring to a reciever but its truly a compensator.

Very different operation. But Kinda the same!

Post Likes
    I will get the numbers tonight. Sounds as though some of you are knowledgeable enough to know what kind of a "match" was sold to me. Thanks for the reply , THPRE

Post Likes
    I used the whole air handler from Goodman. It does have a variable speed blower. The old one was just a single speed electric heater. The goodman people did not ask about a regain collar , it was just mentioned elsewhere and I was not familiar with the term. When we have the telephone consultation on friday I want to be as knowlegable as possible. My installer is a customer/freind of mine but he has no idea of what to do. The house is made in three sections and each section has a main trunk duct with branches to the registers. Originally it had just one connector between the trunks. Now we have three 16 inch soft ducts ,one to each trunk duct . This made the air flow acceptable. Thanks,THPRE

Page 1 of 10 12345678 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in