Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: THPRE

Post Likes
    We have recievers in the automotive business as well as acumulators- these I understand. Compensators ofcourse are not found in automobiles. How do you get around using a compensator without making the two coils the same capacity? Thanks for the answer , THPRE

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by THPRE View Post
    We have recievers in the automotive business as well as acumulators- these I understand. Compensators ofcourse are not found in automobiles. How do you get around using a compensator without making the two coils the same capacity? Thanks for the answer , THPRE
    That is way too technical for this area of the forums. We can provide general advice, but we don't delve into extremely technical issues.

Get your model numbers, then get back with us.

What I will tell you, is that the symptom your having is not uncommon, but I would suggest an individual who specializes in goodman equipment, as they will have ran into this before.

Do not find one who specializes in New homes.
    Find one who regularly installs AND services goodman equipment.

By the way, I've installed Goodman/Amana for 8 years, and never heard of a "static regain collar".
    Where have you heard this term?

I'm going to guess from someone on the engineering side.
    Which means he's overthinking this.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    What is the return side like?

Take some pics for us.

I don't think they had any 2 row coil matches for a 4 ton unit.

You say its variable speed I wonder if its simply not wired right. Get us those numbers.

Post Likes
    airflow airflow airflow

Post Likes
    Good morning , the Goodman numbers are as follows
    heat pump -- model # ssz160u81ac
    -- serial # 1001013387

blower / air handler -- model # mbvc2000aa1aa
    -- serial # 1005641465

coil --- model # capf4860d6ba
    --- serial # 0912735419
    I do not know if you are familiar with Proctor Engineering Group's "check me " program or if it just a west coast thing but I have a certificate saying that the air conditioner part of the system is working correctly with proper unit sizing and proper air flow and acceceptable numbers for duct leakage as well as good number for home air leakage. Thanks,THPRE

Post Likes
    Whops - forgot to say that the line set size is copper 3/8 on small tube and 3/4 on large tube. This exactly matches the size of the tubes coming out of the heatpump. Line set is probably 12 feet long.

Post Likes
    I posted the numbers. You got me - I do not know what you are refering to with the return side unless it is the return air to the blower? In which case it is simple. The air handler is in an enclosed closet from floor to ceiling - approx. 10 feet. there is one louvered opening to this closet approx. 3 feet square. Also a motorized vent to the out side through the roof - this because the house is too tight for health full air exchange , so it opens every time the blower comes on and closes when it is off. All of this is in a utility room eight feet wide and fourteen feet long - one door to outside and one door to the interior of the house. The inside door is normally open and air flow will force it open even though it has a sizable louvered opening in it. The blower does change speeds. the unit has a logic board with dip switches - these were reset the first time I had to call for repairs. This was done with phone consultation to the supplier. Thanks, THPRE

Post Likes
    The govt is giving me all sorts of tax credits for installing such an energy efficient unit and for having all the duct repairs done and checked --- what a joke - my electric bills are obscene!! 250 without the heat pump working and 600 to 800 when I try to use it!! I guess the Govt. is giving me your tax money - Thanks!

Post Likes
    Static Regain Collar croped up on the internet in response to my various inquirys. It apparently has something to do with air flow and is downstream of the blower. I really think my air flow troubles are behind me now after numerous remodels and repairs. I'm not saying the air flow is great - it is much better in my house at the coast. The coast house is the same size - 2500 sq.ft. but it has a great heater with fantastic air flow - the curtins wave like a flag in the wind! The house in question is not like that but at least you can feel the air if you stand over the louver.

Post Likes
    You say 3ft square? What are the actual dimensions? What about filter there is no factory goodman provision on that setup.

I would want to verify the board is setup properly to move the appropriate cfm. Would you say indoor blower is very silent or is it "ramped " up pretty good during heat. It should be full tilt boogie.

Post Likes
    Actual dimensions - will have to measure when I'm home again. It is large enough to make air flow that will open the outside or inside door rapidly. Blower is what I would call "full tilt". Just a standard cheap air filter behind a hinged ,louvered opening. Not even an anti allergen one.

Post Likes
    Static regain collar was needed on Rheem/Ruud air handlers some years ago.

Your air flow problems are not behind you, and they are still biting you. Sealing the return duct often lowers air flow, cause now the blower isn't able to use that air. A simple static pressure check would tell how your air flow really is.

Post Likes
    I'm confused. I had a third party do the "check me " test and it passed this summer. I have a certificate from Proctor Engineering saying that the charge and performance of the air conditioner passed the test. Also they state that the air flow passed the test. They did a static pressure test along with other tests. This certificate entitles me to a tax rebate from the state of Oregon and I have the reply from the state giving me the papers for my tax rebate. I also wonder how restricted air flow would cause 600psi head pressure in heat mode but not in cool mode.

Post Likes
    The Check-Me test can be fooled.

The indoor coil is the condenser in the heat mode. Low airflow across the condenser causes high head pressure.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Post Likes
    OK I go for that. But the air flow in the house seems suficient. Warms the house quickly enough. It is moving enough air to cause the inner door to be forced open. It is always left open anyway. I don't have the numbers from the tests here so will look at home again. Thanks , THPRE

Post Likes
    Yep, post the numbers from the test. CFM, total static, return and supply static. Just because it warms the house quickly, doesn't mean its moving enough air. It could be over sized for the house.

Post Likes
    Well I looked at all my paperwork and I have statements that I passed all the tests and I have tax credits but no numbers. I know they had numbers and went over them but I have no record of them. I also know that they did a survey of the house's heat load taking into consideration the extra insulation and all the extra windows as well as the three glass doors and they said the unit was properly sized. There again I have no numbers or formulas . I did check the size of the return air filter opening - it is 36 in tall and 28 in. wide. I guess I will see what the Goodman expert has to say on the phone tomorrow. Thanks for all the helpfull answers. I will post the results of the conference . THPRE

Post Likes
    600 psi is an indication of improper air flow, a restriction or non condesables in the freon. i suspect ductwork too small for air handler.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by THPRE View Post
    I also wonder how restricted air flow would cause 600psi head pressure in heat mode but not in cool mode.
    Cause in heat mode the indoor coil is the condenser(low air flow high head pressure), and in cool mode the indoor coil is the evap coil(low air flow low suction pressure, and low head pressure).

Post Likes
    Got that. I was just not thinking for a min. I had out conference with Goodman rep. by telephone friday. She wanted static pressures and has not replied since being given the numbers. static pressure numbers are ; return air w/outside vent on = .04 max. measured , supply side air .25 to .27 giving a total of .31 to .30. My understanding is that this puts air flow out as a source of my problem. During our test the unit took about ten min. to build up to 610psi then started cycling from 400 to 610 with the cycles becoming progressively shorter finally working down to less than 60 seconds for complete cycle. The other thing to keep in mind is that this unit has never worked even once in transition from hot to cool or back again!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in