Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: THPRE

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Ok, so how would you know what the static is unless you took a static pressure reading.

It does also tell you if your going to be able to use a higher MERV filter or not.
    I didn't say static wasn't important in fact I said its "always good to know" but we're trying to determine if the OP has an airflow problem. Whether his tsp is .1 or .7 it it doesn't tell us what we need to know. Now if it was 1.5 that would tell us something but even his number's which are around .3 were really double that, it still doesn't tell us much. What if .3 is accurate but his system was set up for 1200 cfm in heating or its wired wrong & he's only getting 40% of the CFM because the system thinks its on fan only. His static pressure would look good even with too small of a duct system for the unit. There are just too many variables we don't know.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    The best things in life are free but not everyone is willing to pay the price.
    When you appreciate what you have, you have a lot more.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by garyed View Post
    There is no manufacturers data that I know of that will tell you what CFM you will get under a particular static pressure with a variable speed motor.
    I'm not aware of any manufacturers that does not have blower performance charts for their VS blower equipped furnaces, either in the literature that comes with the unit, or available by other means.

You should take some time to look over the blower performance charts many manufacturers supply with their VS blower equipped units.

The charts are a little different than for standard blowers, because they have to give static pressure/CFM values for each of the motors airflow settings, so you have to be careful you are working off the correct part of the chart.

Here is an example of the Service Facts for an American Standard furnace, blower performance charts start on page 12.
    http://markbeiser.com/HVAC/documents...2-9V-SF-1C.pdf

Post Likes
    How am I wrong?
    . The only thing I've seen in writing so far has been from .8 to 1.0. tsp.

Just produce the writing. Like I learned years ago....show me where its written that those static pressures are OK.
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    I didn't say static wasn't important in fact I said its "always good to know" but we're trying to determine if the OP has an airflow problem. Whether his tsp is .1 or .7 it it doesn't tell us what we need to know. Now if it was 1.5 that would tell us something but even his number's which are around .3 were really double that, it still doesn't tell us much. What if .3 is accurate but his system was set up for 1200 cfm in heating or its wired wrong & he's only getting 40% of the CFM because the system thinks its on fan only. His static pressure would look good even with too small of a duct system for the unit. There are just too many variables we don't know.
    Although the cfm values are constant on VS motors, the static pressure AND watts can be factored to calculate the cfm.

Post Likes
    My office manager (who doubles as my wife) said that old AHRI data disappears off the website after the equipment is deemed obsolete and is gone from inventory. So it's not surprising that we can't verify the number.
    Last edited by crmont; 01-31-2013 at 10:27 PM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    Just produce the writing. Like I learned years ago....show me where its written that those static pressures are OK.
    If this picture uploaded its from a Ruud/Rheem VS AH installation booklet that states the motor can deliver constant airflow up to 1.0 static pressure.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Gary
    -----------

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    I'm not aware of any manufacturers that does not have blower performance charts for their VS blower equipped furnaces, either in the literature that comes with the unit, or available by other means.

You should take some time to look over the blower performance charts many manufacturers supply with their VS blower equipped units.

The charts are a little different than for standard blowers, because they have to give static pressure/CFM values for each of the motors airflow settings, so you have to be careful you are working off the correct part of the chart.

Here is an example of the Service Facts for an American Standard furnace, blower performance charts start on page 12.
    http://markbeiser.com/HVAC/documents...2-9V-SF-1C.pdf
    I've never installed a Trane & that's the first I've seen that shows any difference in CFM according to static pressure on a VS motor. If you look at the numbers from .1 all the way to .9 there's not much difference in CFM anyways. Maybe that's why most manufacturers don't post those numbers. If this were a the Trane unit in the booklet you posted & the OP's static was .9 it still would not be a major factor in determining his problem. I could upload some installation booklets from Goodman & Ruud & there's nothing in their literature that shows any difference according to static pressure.
    Gary
    -----------

Post Likes
    York VS drop off after .6" static. Yes I know we're talking about a Goodman in this thread.

Also hasn't been established yet if the Static rating on that blower includes the coil PD or not. If not, then the OPs static is much higher then he posted.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by THPRE View Post
    TOOCOOL -WHO DID NOT DO WELL IN SCHOOL- YOUR ANSWERS HAVE BEEN THE LEAST INFORMATIVE AND YOUR SUPPOSITIONS ARE ALL WRONG. AN EASY CURE IS TO JUST GO AWAY. THANKS THPRE. To the rest of you thanks for your thoughts and opinions and thanks for educating me. I think I need to wait untill I get some response from Goodman. CRMONT - special thanks to you , you dug in and asked intelligent questions. Gary, I may try your suggestion but every time I tried to talk cfm or velocity all the pros figuratively looked down their noses at me and said "we don't care about cfm,only static pressures". Thanks for the help! Don't worry TOOCOOL there is always welfare!
    OUCH that hurts.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    Honestly, although this is goodman, there is way to much cluster'd crap for this to be goodmans fault.

Installed by a friend.
    Installed in a mobile home.
    Installed in a closet.
    No AHRI match as of yet.
    Installer can't figure it out.
    No Tech rep in area.
    Unusual static readings.
    Government rebates.
    Some weird government test that can be cheated.
    Homeowner trying to contact the manufacturer.
    Opened the refrigerant circuit more times than alot of systems see in their lifetime.
    Finally, 13 pages.

Your relief is not through goodman.
    It is through the contractor.

Me thinks:
    Your coil is wrong for the heat pump. Sized fine for cooling, not for heating.
    Your airflow is crap, compounding the issue.
    Your contractor called goodman, goodman told him they won't touch this abortion, because their up to their rear in their own abortions that they've created.

Which is why goodman won't come out.

I think I mentioned this earlier, but the reason they don't deal with you, is because they don't want to, and they don't have to. They want to talk to their customer (the dealer), not the dealers customer (you).

The reason goodman can't help you, is because there is nothing wrong with their equipment. It's operating the way it should operate under the circumstances.

Call a different individual out who has experience with goodman equipment.
    I've never heard of goodman refusing any warranty because a different contractor was used.
    Most likely, you have no labor warranty with goodman anyways, you have a 1 year labor with the contractor.

OR for that matter, did anyone even register this equipment with goodman?
    I think you nailed it.

Post Likes
    I purchased a new Goodman 16 seer heat pump,it was installed late summer of 2010. Made cool air but come winter had to remove refergerant because of high pressures. Then have to add it in the spring and remove every winter since. Installer has replace three tx valves and one drier. All to no avail. My installer knows less about refergeration theory than I do [ I am fairly knowledgable] and he does not even understand the function of a compensator. Goodman will not talk to me and they do not have a factory representitive available in our area.But we do have a telephone conference set up for the end of this week - friday.
    I would like any thoughts as to possible solutions and possibly the differences between compensators and recievers. Also what is a static regain collar and does it pertain to my situation? Thanks
    Replaced three txv's and ONE drier. Missed that on the first read.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    York VS drop off after .6" static. Yes I know we're talking about a Goodman in this thread.

Also hasn't been established yet if the Static rating on that blower includes the coil PD or not. If not, then the OPs static is much higher then he posted.
    You're absolutely right but even if we add another .3 or .4 for the coil to his measurements we only get about .7 which is still under the .8 mentioned in the manual. I would expect a very high static in a mobile home setup so the fact that his may not be that bad makes me wonder if the motor is set up correctly. I had a job where an oversized VS AH was installed & the duct system was designed for a 1.5 ton. The place sounded like a wind tunnel it was so noisey coming out of the registers. You thought they were gong to blow off the wall. It was an older model unit & there was no setting lower than 1050 cfm not even at continuous fan. Even two days with the distributor tech support rep & the manufacturer support rep we couldn't find a way to slow it down. I can't remember the tsp but it was so high we were laughing about it. I have no idea of the actual CFM it was moving but I guarantee it was a lot closer to 1050 than 600 even at ridiculously high static. If the OP's ductwork is too small & the motor is set up right it should be blowing his curtains off the walls. If the ductwork is blocked up somehow then his static pressure would go through the roof. Oh, we ended up changing the AH.
    Gary
    -----------

Post Likes
    I agree with Hvacvegas, probably a mismatch on coil inside. This coil will work on cooling, but not have adequate freon storage in heating compounded by air flow problems caused by installation. Once again, it's the responsibility of the installing contractor at this point. My question...where was this equipment purchased??

Me? I'D NEVER INSTALL A TWO SPEED 16 SEER HEAT PUMP IN A MODULAR/MOBILE HOME USING REGULAR RESIDENTIAL EQUIPMENT. NO WAY, NO HOW!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
    I agree with Hvacvegas, probably a mismatch on coil inside. This coil will work on cooling, but not have adequate freon storage in heating compounded by air flow problems caused by installation. Once again, it's the responsibility of the installing contractor at this point. My question...where was this equipment purchased??

Me? I'D NEVER INSTALL A TWO SPEED 16 SEER HEAT PUMP IN A MODULAR/MOBILE HOME USING REGULAR RESIDENTIAL EQUIPMENT. NO WAY, NO HOW!!!
    Purchased on non contractor account.

Post Likes
    CRMONT - Equipt. registered july of 2010. This AHRI cert. has a date of 7/26/2010. Is that considered old enough to be obsolete?

Post Likes
    The equiptment was purchased from Thermal Supply , in Medford , Or. I'm confused again - do the static pressures and cfms show an air flow problem?

Post Likes
    Toocool and hvacvegas - you both need to read the earlier posts and then your replies will be more pertinent. hvacvegas - do some homework on the various govt. programs and you will be able to better serve your customers.

Post Likes
    The equiptment was purchased from Thermal Supply , in Medford , Or. I'm confused again - do the static pressures and cfms show an air flow problem?

We just aren't believing the static numbers that we're given. We aren't any better off than when we started this thread. The ball is in your court now.

Post Likes
    How many times do your questions have to be awnsered?
    You have the wrong equipment for your application.
    This is a result by you trying to SAVE money or just by being cheap.
    You refuse to listen to reason, You made the mistakes, you are reapededly asking for help, you receive the help and don't want to beleive the messenger. You cannot think your way out of this situation or complain your way out of it. You made mistakes now live with them. I think your mind is bordering on insanity at this point. As FENG says go the the doctor and get your brain checked.

Post Likes
    Yeah - ok makes sense - but I just have to go with what the testers tell me and the papers the installer gives me and see what Goodman finally says, since I'm not actually doing any of the tests. Thanks for all the well intentioned help and answers. THPRE

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in