Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: THPRE

Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    The way that the coil sits on top of the blower is fine. Both door panels are in line.

Overcharged, probably airflow issue to begin with.
    Probably had to jack in refrigerant to keep it from freezing.

You need a real professional, not someone stumbling through this.
    Him changing the indoor TXV to help with a heating issue forces me to say this.

I'd assume this "check me" test is flawed, and not use its results. Mostly because it's government related.
    The coil door is not facing front as far as I can tell. A decent picture with the entire air handler in view would help.

The "check me" test is very accurate as far as the air flow check goes. It's a very valuable tool in the field. It will verify airflow when the static pressure test fails or is inaccurate. Its susceptible to poor data input and ignorance in general just like anything else.

http://www.energyconservatory.com/pr...ler-flow-meter
    Last edited by crmont; 01-27-2013 at 11:56 PM.

I grant you,I do need a really good troubleshooter. I am still hoping that Goodman will be able to find the answer. Thanks for all the input. Now I need to bring in wood for the appliance that is keeping me warm this winter!! I will update you as to results from Goodman. Night now,THPRE

Quote Originally Posted by crmont View Post
    The coil door is not facing front as far as I can tell. A decent picture with the entire air handler in view would help.

The "check me" test is very accurate as far as the air flow check goes. It's a very valuable tool in the field. It will verify airflow when the static pressure test fails or is inaccurate. Its susceptible to poor data input and ignorance in general just like anything else.

http://www.energyconservatory.com/pr...ler-flow-meter
    The drain line is facing the front. I can see the electrical date plate for the blower in front also.

It looks weird, because they took the whole blower box and just turned it upside down.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    The drain line is facing the front. I can see the electrical date plate for the blower in front also.

It looks weird, because they took the whole blower box and just turned it upside down.
    Here on the west coast it's called a down flow. The coil is separate from the blower section I believe.

I think the most important sign here is that this is installed in a Moble home which usually have special air handlers insatalled, like colemans etc. I do not think that the ductwork is big enough for this air handler. The OP mentioned curtains waving around in the airstream. A sign of too much air flow or high velocity.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

The original electric heater had a comparable sized wheel. When we looked in the ducts with a camera they all appeared to be at least as large as my previous site built homes with no air flow problems. Coleman is old school. The biggest difference between a site built home and this manufactured home is that everything in this house is plumb and true and it has six steel beams under it. And it has a lot more insulation than most homes. This home was built in a factory on a jig by a bunch of imigrants instead of in the field by a bunch of radio blaring cowboys --- Take your pick!

You are exactly right. only the detachable blower is turned upside down.

I still think your mistake is equipment sizing and choice. Lesson learned they make specific equipment for modular homes for a reason. Your neighbor did you a misdeed for the money he saved you on this equipment.

Mobile home ducting typically runs at higher static pressures than a conventional house (given the latter is installed correctly). The old Colemans may have been "old school", but they had blowers rated to push against a higher static pressure. Same size new blower wheel does not mean it can push against the same static as the old wheel of the same size, and move the same amount of air the old one did. It's in how that wheel is designed (blade configuration).
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Shophound View Post
    Mobile home ducting typically runs at higher static pressures than a conventional house (given the latter is installed correctly). The old Colemans may have been "old school", but they had blowers rated to push against a higher static pressure. Same size new blower wheel does not mean it can push against the same static as the old wheel of the same size, and move the same amount of air the old one did. It's in how that wheel is designed (blade configuration).
    Thank you. Very well put.

SO i'M CONFUSED - I SHOULD HAVE HIGH STATIC PRESSURE INSTEAD OF LOW? HOW WOULD THIS AFFECT THE HEAD PRESSURE? ANOTHER TECH TOLD ME THE STATIC PRESSURES WERE VERY LOW?

You have the wrong air handler- period.

Quote Originally Posted by THPRE View Post
    SO i'M CONFUSED - I SHOULD HAVE HIGH STATIC PRESSURE INSTEAD OF LOW? HOW WOULD THIS AFFECT THE HEAD PRESSURE? ANOTHER TECH TOLD ME THE STATIC PRESSURES WERE VERY LOW?
    I think that's the point. Your static pressure numbers don't reflect the truth. If that air handler was truly delivering 1400 cfm your total static would likely be .7 or higher with that ductwork.

Static pressure tests are inherently flawed because it assumes that the blower is operating at a specific speed and is functioning properly. Can you verify that coil placement for me?

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast