Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: THPRE

1600 CFM to 1800.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Like I said the top of the squirrel cage housing might be restricting the outlet of the coil.

The fact that the coil door is 3 inches away from a wall is the kind of stuff that drives a technician crazy. A little instant karma for the installer who had to change the txv though!

Quote Originally Posted by THPRE View Post
    Yeah--it looked better before the first time he replaced the tx valve . I told you early on he is a friend - not a the best tech. But he is a hard worker and is not charging me for all these service calls. This is why I have had another company out here doing the check me and duct work. They are well regarded in this area for their expertise. I guess I have no idea if the evap coil is oriented correctly or if it restricts the air flow. Pictures have been sent to Goodman they should know.
    So for all we know the system could have non-condensibles in the system. Did the HVAC company recover all the charge and re evacuate the system or have they simply been adding and subtracting charge?

Was this equipment bought from online dealer and then installed by friend contractor?

The equiptment was purchased by my contractor [friend] from a local refergeration supply house. One of the two biggest in this area. He has since gone back to a different manufacturer and does not have these troubles any more. Yes he has removed the entire refergerant load more than once and has done a lengthy evacuation every time he emptied the system.

Quote Originally Posted by THPRE View Post
    The equiptment was purchased by my contractor [friend] from a local refergeration supply house. One of the two biggest in this area. He has since gone back to a different manufacturer and does not have these troubles any more. Yes he has removed the entire refergerant load more than once and has done a lengthy evacuation every time he emptied the system.
    So a factory charge level will result in a high head pressure?

A 90% of normal charge should result in lower head pressures and plenty of charge to cool properly. If not then there is a fundamental refrigeration issue.

Whenever your guy gets the cooling working properly, how much charge is in the system at that point? And what's the nameplate charge amount in comparison?

You may have an air flow and charge level issue and both are contributing to the high head.

Your mechanical room is at least 25" deep and likely deeper than that. The air handler should have been offset to the rear of your mechanical room so there is room for the txv. If your guy won't go to that extent then he can relocate the txv to the interior of the coil cabinet. This will allow him to mount the coil properly. This will eliminate the possible air flow restriction and not drive the next technician friggin nuts when he sees that coil access.

Seriously, it'd be nice to head that issue off now. I've been doing this awhile and my patience for that sort of thing (installing without regard for access ect.) has completely vanished.
    Last edited by crmont; 01-27-2013 at 07:37 PM.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 01-27-2013 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrDodge View Post
    For airflow, couldn't you put in emerg. heat (aux) and check for proper temp rise?
    There's not enough supply plenum to get an average temperature rise from heating elements that are downstream of the fan IMHO. Been there done that. The wet bulb/dry bulb test could be used in a few months though. Actually roseburg is expecting temps in the mid 60s around February fourth. It could be worth a shot then.

The cabinet is 24 1/2 deep and 27 wide and 115in tall. Once the thing works I will make a permanent door for the front of the cabinet. For now there is a piece of sheetrock that fits the opening and seals it off. Top of the coil cabinet is 65 inches above the floor. So plenum area above the coil is 24 1/2 x 27 and 40in. tall.

The air handler is 24 3/4 deep and 21 1/2 wide. Unit is within 1/2 in of rear of cabinet. I think this means that the coil cabinet and the blower cabinet are properly oriented respective to each other. And afterall if you open the door the tx valve is certainly accessable - just close to one wall. I think he did the best he could without building a new cabinet which would take up some of the watersoftner space.

MrDodge, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary or ask questions of the OP here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

The way that the coil sits on top of the blower is fine. Both door panels are in line.

Overcharged, probably airflow issue to begin with.
    Probably had to jack in refrigerant to keep it from freezing.

You need a real professional, not someone stumbling through this.
    Him changing the indoor TXV to help with a heating issue forces me to say this.

I'd assume this "check me" test is flawed, and not use its results. Mostly because it's government related.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast