Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Weird one I came across today

Doing a site review of a new location of an existing customer today.
    Bunch of 5 ton york split system heat pumps. Dont have model numbers infrontof me but shouldnt matter.
    A couple of the units had recievers mounted at the ahu's not factory obviously, and dont really get it, not crazy long runs or anything, mabey 125' @ the most. This is a new install done by a different co. They also have llsv installed at the c/u with a check valve in parrallel, flow towards cond unit. I get that for heating mode, but not getting the reciever, esp. After the solinoid. Still need to look into it a little more, but seems really odd to me. Anybody?

I would also prefer to see the llsv at the ahu..

These guys do nice work, ball valves to isoale the ahu, access fittings everywhere, ive followed behind them on other installs, they always do the checkvalve / solinoid combo, ulually at the ahu, but I cant say ive ever seen a reciever (decent size.. 6in diam, bout 12in long) installed at the ahu before.. weird one

What happens when this thing goes into heating? Does this reciever have a dip tube on both sides? One way or the other its gonna be sucking vapor. ? Im back tomorow, gotta have a better look

Could it be a desuperheater?

Just liquid in liquid out, had a better look today, its actually a verical reciever, that has been mounted horizontally. Its stilll got me confused, havent been able run the thing yet ans I dont have power yet, its only on the 2 units that have the longest run, about 125 to 150'. Im thinking it must be somthing do do with that. They are micro channel coils, which also explanes a bit.. sort of a buffer tank im guessing. But the dip tube orientation is alll wrong unless these things have been modified somhow

Geeze, 195 views and 1 reply.. lol
    I swear im not on crack. Vertical reciever, installed horizontally, mounted at the ahu of a 5 ton heat pump.. mounded in such a fashon that both rotolock service valves are on "top" of the horizontaly mounted vertical reciever.. liquid line in the in port and out the out, then sightglass and into txv.... wtf is this all about, im sure its legit, very reputable company installed these systems, justdont get it!

Get the numbers off of the receivers before you decide they are piped wrong because we use plenty of them that are as you described, bidirectional. We have also added receivers on small split system heat pumps per factory (Aaon) no llsv though.
    ckartson
    I didn't write the book I just read it!

It could be piped as a surge receiver (more like an expansion tank).
    I presume that the receiver is still condition air (cooler than the condenser), if so with along run they could be getting an issue with pressure drop and thus some flash gas is being produced, it could be acting as a liquid - vapour separator, when the vapour re-condenses due tot the increased surface area.

If it has 2 txv's and ball valves with lines to the hot gas line and the suction line and one to the liquid line, then it's a desuperheater. I installed a few on some new Carrier units in Savannah. Also installed fan cycling switches on those units. They were on a roof, with the air handlers about 4 floors down.

Charge compensator?
    Some Talk, Some Do
    "keeping condensing pressures low and evaporator pressures high"
    "Some customers are more interested in comfort than energy savings"
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook

A raywal device is what they were called.

got pics?
    Parts Changer Extraordinaire
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Have tools and gauges, will travel.

RIDGID|YELLOW JACKET|UEI|TESTO|STANLEY|CPS|VETO| KLEIN|MILWAUKEE|MASTERCRAFT|

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast