Soot in heat exchanger

I recently started having problems with the Intertherm furnace in my five year old manufactured home. The main burner would come on for a short length of time and blow out, along with the pilot. To make a long story short, it was found that the heat exchanger was plugged with soot from overfiring. This had been slowly building up for a long time, and ultimately was the result of the original installer putting in the wrong orfice during a natural gas-to-propane conversion. The technician is recommending replacing the furnace, as he claims the heat exchanger cannot easily be cleaned. Does this make sense?

If I do decide to replace the furnace, I am considering replacing it with a more efficient condensing furnace. Are these furnaces readily available for manufactured homes?

Well replacing the furnace is one option or replacing the heat exchanger.Replacing the heat exchanger is a pain it the butt.What happened to to installing contractor?I feel bad for you but I hope the unit is shut down.

Don't let anyone talk you into having the thing cleaned because the heatexchanger my be cracked.

You will never get the thing clean and the soot will return.Replace the heat exchanger
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Intertherm makes a condensing furnce that is approved for installation in manufactured homes. So does Bryant.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Yeah soot is a definate telltale. Sorry to say it means the end of your furnace

soot

I would not stop at the heat exchanger, I Would also check the flue piping. When a system starts producing soot, it will travel all the way up the flue, depending on how long it's gone unnoticed. good luck

Just because the furnace sooted up does not mean it is done for. Have a reputable hvac contracator check it out befor you replace anything.

What?? you mean your not going to tell him how to fix the issue Harry?
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius