I recently started having problems with the Intertherm furnace in my five year old manufactured home. The main burner would come on for a short length of time and blow out, along with the pilot. To make a long story short, it was found that the heat exchanger was plugged with soot from overfiring. This had been slowly building up for a long time, and ultimately was the result of the original installer putting in the wrong orfice during a natural gas-to-propane conversion. The technician is recommending replacing the furnace, as he claims the heat exchanger cannot easily be cleaned. Does this make sense?
If I do decide to replace the furnace, I am considering replacing it with a more efficient condensing furnace. Are these furnaces readily available for manufactured homes?