Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

UA local apprenticeship

I'm interested in join UA local apprenticeship for HVACR and want to get some thoughts on the training, employment, recruitment, etc.

It depends on what Local. "HVACR" only, I think there's only one in No. America. "Pipefitter Locals" are more HVACR friendly than "Plumbing & Pipefitting Locals". This is from my experience.

Pipe fitters better for HVACR for sure. Training good. Employment depends on the market where u are. Recruitment? Well they will take anyone who can write a dues check and pass a drug test.

Thanks guys for your thoughts. I'm living in lower Westchester, NY and considering UA local NY and NJ which is pipefitter, steamfitter and hvacr. If you get in a UA local in one state can you transfer to another UA local in another state? The apprentice training schedule is different.

I Dont think you can transfer cause its different dues for each.. I was in 638 b guy and before that I was 94 guy and now I'm a owner. Lol..

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Not one HVACR Tech in the business office at this Local or the next one over. They're both "Plumber and Pipefitter" Locals.

If your looking to work in NYC, the local is 638. Steamfitters is almost impossible to get into unless you have a relative in the local. The metal trades branch is easy to get into once you find a job with a company who is signed with then local. The training program on both is pretty good. I believe some of the training is on company time (paid) and some is at night, on your own.

Check these out:

UA locals: http://ua.org/links.asp

NJ Locals 9,322,475, and 274 for HVAC

NY Locals: 638 for the city or move the mouse around the NY map : http://www.nyspipetrades.org/

Im in Local 9 In New Jersey, HVAC Divsion.

Apprenticeship application is once a year in NJ in January, but you can get a company to sponsor you and get you in if a Union Contractor hires you.
    " Good labor is not cheap and cheap labor is not good." MN

UA Local 9

Thanks for the info. What your thoughts on the apprentice program in nj?

Everyone has an opinion and is entitled to theirs. I believe that the apprenticeship program for the HVAC division is one of the best around for training, but my experience thru the program was 12 years ago when i graduated. The apprenticeship is a 5 year program here, one day every 2 weeks for an 8 hour day. The program is free to apprentices enrolled, ( the money does come out of our overall union package) but most if not all employers do not pay you the day your in class. So from Sept. to June every 2 weeks you end up with a 32 hour paycheck unless you work overtime. All things considering, a big savings compared to spending 28,000 at a very popular technical school ( no names but you know the ones that advertise commercials) that can't guarantee you a job when done. Besides school training, you also have on the job training here too.

UA Local 9

Thanks for the great info. Is it hard to get in?

Not hard to get in, just need to have....actually here is the link for our apprenticeship:

http://www.uanj.org/recruitment_complete.html

Like I said, it only comes around once a year and if it says it opens at 8 am on Tuesday, you better be there 8pm Monday night waiting in line or you will miss out. Bring a blanket because its cold outside waiting in line. If you can get a job at first as a driver at a union shop, they will usually sponsor you into the apprenticeship and the ride will be a lot smoother. As far as pay goes, well check the pdf file:
    Attached Images Attached Images

UA Local 9

hvacpilot - it was just like you said the weather was freezing and there was about 50 ppl on line already when I got there! Just took the math and reading test. Hope I pass!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast