New House Purchase

New House Purchase

Hello all! I just purchased a new home in Knoxville, TN and had some questions about the existing HVAC setup here. I've researched as far as I can online and I'm stuck on a few things. I have two units outside. One unit is very big and runs the downstairs Model # - RRNA-B024JK06E. One unit is very small and runs the upstairs Model # - RAND-030JAZ.

I had issues finding the furnace(s) so I turned the heat on downstairs first, went outside and heard the gas burning in the compressor unit. So I'm assuming there isn't a furnace for the downstairs and it's an all in 1. I found the furnace upstairs... It's up in the attic with no steps so I need to go purchase a bigger latter so I can get the model # for the furnace.

Here are all of my questions. Please let me know if I need to provide anymore information to find out the answers... Thanks again for any help with this...

1.) I know I need to change the filters on the return upstairs and downstairs but is there maintenance that needs to occur with the furnace upstairs or the units outside? Filters, ETC.?

2.) How do I find out if I have any form of alternate heat? Electric backup? Looking at my bill, looks like gas is used 100% of the time upstairs and downstairs. Maybe I do not have backup heat??

Here are the pictures of the model numbers on the two outside units.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by younca4 View Post
    Hello all! I just purchased a new home in Knoxville, TN and had some questions about the existing HVAC setup here. I've researched as far as I can online and I'm stuck on a few things. I have two units outside. One unit is very big and runs the downstairs Model # - RRNA-B024JK06E. One unit is very small and runs the upstairs Model # - RAND-030JAZ.

I had issues finding the furnace(s) so I turned the heat on downstairs first, went outside and heard the gas burning in the compressor unit. So I'm assuming there isn't a furnace for the downstairs and it's an all in 1. I found the furnace upstairs... It's up in the attic with no steps so I need to go purchase a bigger latter so I can get the model # for the furnace.

Here are all of my questions. Please let me know if I need to provide anymore information to find out the answers... Thanks again for any help with this...

1.) I know I need to change the filters on the return upstairs and downstairs but is there maintenance that needs to occur with the furnace upstairs or the units outside? Filters, ETC.?

2.) How do I find out if I have any form of alternate heat? Electric backup? Looking at my bill, looks like gas is used 100% of the time upstairs and downstairs. Maybe I do not have backup heat??
    You bought a house and did not kow what you were buying? Call a pro and let him tell you what you have bought. Your bag might have a hole in it.
    Blue Fox

The big unit is called a gas package unit and has the ductwork directly attached to it.

The upstairs unit is a split system where copper freon lines connect the indoor/outdoor units.

As far as backup heat goes id say you have no secondary heat source from either unit individually. That term usually refers to heat pumps and their backup heat strips.

Thanks for the reply. OK, my dad mentioned that usually there is a backup on most systems. His is primary electric and then fails over to gas. I do not believe my system would even support failover to electric though.