Hybrid View

adding refrigerant in heat mode

Westinghouse FT4be-030k 410a. I had a tune-up late Nov., Tech found a leak where you hook up the gauges to check pressures and he replaced the valve. He suggested a leak test but I elected to hold off to see if this was the only leak. The outside temp was 53 and he added Freon to 90 low and 320 high. Looking at the charging chart for heat mode at 50 degrees, it calls for 110 low and 382 high. Am I still low on freon everything else being ok? I am down about 3 or 4 degrees at supply vs. last winter and may have a defrost problem. Should I have him back to add more and then do the sub cool thing this spring?

Have him recover the refrigerant and weigh in the proper charge. Ask him to warm the accumulator to be certain all refrigerant is removed. The check chart is just that - for checking. If you read the instructions for charging the unit it will tell you not to use the chart to adjust the charge.

Should have him adjust the charge in cooling mode based on SC, and operation verified by checking superheated.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Thanks for the reply, I knew that from reading posts on this forum for several years. I have also read that while tricky you could get close by adding freon as the tech did. In about 6 weeks the charge can be checked in the cooling mode so I thought I could limp along til then to save a little dough. I would still like to know if everything else was ok would you suspect a low charge with the above numbers..........anybody?

how long did he let the unit run after adding refrigerant as it takes about 20 minuets for the pressure to stablalize .also find out how much it will cost before having all the refrigerant recovered drier replaced and a new charge weighed in .
    We really need change now