Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blower bearings Trane yhc120a rtu. Easy???

Has anyone replaced the blower bearings on a Trane yhx120a or similar rtu. It's the belt driven model. The bearings are mounted in a rubber casing. Wonder if they need to be pressed out of the blower mount? I'm guessing I have to take the top off the rtu to take the blower out? Just curious how long this might take me. Never did these before. Thanks.

If they're cam lock RCSM bearings, they shouldn't be too bad, If they are locked in with set screws not so much. Depending on the age and corrosion, a new shaft wheel and bearings would be easiest. If you take the top off, there's only 1/2 dozen or so screws to remove the blower assembly. Be careful you don't damage the coil.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

It was working when I left...
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Yea I'm not sure which one i have. The new bearing is mostly round rubber and on one end there's a metal collar with a star type set screw and two very small white plastic set screws(not sure what they are for). It's gonna be 35degrees tomorrow and just wanted to see what I was in for. I've let this go for too long and the thing is a squeaky mess . Thanks

Hit or miss......I have had them pull right off. But I always assume the worse......that is cutting the shaft and replacing shaft, wheel, and bearings.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

the few that i have done i have always cut the shaft removed the blower, shaft and bearings. it may be heavy on the part side however it does save the customer on the labor side.

If the unit needs to be running by the end of the day, I would have a shaft, wheel and bearings on site. If you can get the bearings off without cutting the shaft, you can return the unused parts.

Ok all went well and everything came apart easy. The old bearings didn't seem to bad. Got it back together and it seems better but the motor still shakes when it's running. I don't get it. It has a recent new motor, motor adjusting mount, new blower bearings and belt. I noticed no wobble in the blower when I had it out. What can be causing this motor to be shaking like this? Do these blower wheels go bad, could the shaft be warped? There's not much more to replace???? The only thing I can try is making sure the motor is mounted square with the blower pulley. Any suggestions please let me know.

How are your sheaves? If they are worn they tend to pinch on the belts. Worn sheaves will make it shake. Typically they wear out the motor sheave first. Those blowers are not too bad, just like a few have said though, have all the parts on hand incase something goes wrong. It's easier to return them. Trane's bearing retainers are welded together and welded to housing which makes a bearing changeout take a little longer sometimes. A lot of carriers tend to have a similar setup but they use rivets on some bearing supports. I drill them out and put in bolts with thread locker. Had one too may of the rivets fail and drop the bearing, shaft, and fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightshaker View Post
    How are your sheaves? If they are worn they tend to pinch on the belts. Worn sheaves will make it shake. Typically they wear out the motor sheave first. Those blowers are not too bad, just like a few have said though, have all the parts on hand incase something goes wrong. It's easier to return them. Trane's bearing retainers are welded together and welded to housing which makes a bearing changeout take a little longer sometimes. A lot of carriers tend to have a similar setup but they use rivets on some bearing supports. I drill them out and put in bolts with thread locker. Had one too may of the rivets fail and drop the bearing, shaft, and fan.
    Threadserts instead of bolts. They won't come loose and are stronger than the rivits. You would be using them as a rivit, not the threaded portion
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

It was working when I left...
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Threadserts instead of bolts. They won't come loose and are stronger than the rivits. You would be using them as a rivit, not the threaded portion
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358789510.078235.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  5.8 KB
    I don't have many bolts come loose that I don't want to. I have not used the threadserts before they look like they would do the job. I have a big nut and blot tray and plenty of flavors of loctite though.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightshaker View Post

The motor sheave is new.

Quote Originally Posted by billymons View Post
    The motor sheave is new.
    Oh come on Billy you need to tell me these things now my fingers are tired from typing all that.
    If everything (besides wheel and shaft) is new and tight and lined up. I would tend to think the wheel is out of balance. I have not witnessed many bent shafts unless MAJOR trama has occurred. Did it shake before? Was it clean? If it wasn't clean could dirt have knocked loose making it a little off? Bent shaft can be found quickly, but I am really doubting that is the problem.

I'm going back to it now. I have a feeling the motor is cocked on its mount a little. We will see. Everything is clean. Sorry I forgot about new sheave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast