Backflow certification

I would like to know if any guys here do backflow testing. My boss keeps pushing me to get certified. We have 2 techs that are certified, but they are nearing retirement. It's a 40 hour class held on Saturdays. This is on your own time. My thoughts are that its a plumbers job and I'm not a plumber.
    Local 449?

We have a hvac guy that does backflows. I thought about trying to get certifies to do it. My thought is its a hell of a lot easier than roping up a compressor to the roof and it makes you more of an asset to the company. Also I have heard there is a lot of money to be made from doing them if you go out on your own.

In IL, you have to be a LIC plumber to even take the test and become certified. (Its potable water protection)

I got certified in 2002 and back then in order to have the certification renewed a minimum of 30 backflow preventers must be tested, I did not hit that number and lost my cert. I was primarily testing backflow preventers installed in boilers makeup water lines. I dont really care about that line of work but having the cert doesn't hurt either, if times are slow its another avenue to get to your 40 hours.

Only my take.. If it gets you a cert that you can put on your resume, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by garychance View Post
    In IL, you have to be a LIC plumber to even take the test and become certified. (Its potable water protection)
    Same up here. You have to be a licensed plumber, sprinkler fitter, or work for a water utility in order to get certified. We had a guy that did them, but since we do so much hospital work, our insurance premium would have gone through the roof just to carrier that rider. Wasn't worth it.

We hire them out.

Quote Originally Posted by targetman View Post
    I would like to know if any guys here do backflow testing. My boss keeps pushing me to get certified. We have 2 techs that are certified, but they are nearing retirement. It's a 40 hour class held on Saturdays. This is on your own time. My thoughts are that its a plumbers job and I'm not a plumber.
    yeah it kinda is a plumbers job but I wish I was certifiedespecially because of all the boiler work you can get when you're out doing RPZ testing. We have one journeyman and the owner that are certified. In the fall for boilers and spring for irrigation they stay pretty busy just testing RPZ's

My Dad was certified and did quite a bit, I am not. There was a talk here in the 90's that the water company and state would require one for every new house, and to be tested yearly (never happened) it's pretty much just commercial, and sprinkler systems here (They are tested) but lawn and the such are in place, just not enforced to be tested.

I will add it's a pretty good gig, if you have the work. Hand full of tools and clean good work testing.

If your boss wants you to go to the school and plans on making a profit off your new knowledge, he should pay you for your time.
    Just my thoughts.
    "What Fools these mortals be"....Puck

I got certified in 2012 and my boss paid for the course along with my hourly rate while at the course

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

I would get certified if I was paid to attend the training. I'll go to all of the unpaid training that is HVAC, but not something that is not my trade. That cert. does me know good elsewhere in our local.
    Local 449?