Trane BCI-C (BACnet) UC400 Questions

I am working on trying to integrate a Trane RTAC Chiller into a BACnet MS/TP system. The chiller has a Tracer BCI on it. I got the Tracer BACnet set up tool and configured the device ID, baud and such. The only thing that was weird was the controller wouldn't look at the rotary switches for the MAC address. In the manual for the UC400 it says you can clear the memory and the BCI will automatically go out and reconfigure itself. Once I did that the rotary switch change came up like normal, but when I would go to change the engineering units of measure it kept showing a error while saving. It does this everytime and I am not sure what I can try next. Also I noticed the CH530 controller can no longer communicate to the BCI. Do I have to hook up to the CH530 now and rebind the BCI with the Trane Magnetic screw driver? I would appreciate any help on working with one of these controllers.

Thanks
    J. King

Quote Originally Posted by apprentice3 View Post
    I am working on trying to integrate a Trane RTAC Chiller into a BACnet MS/TP system. The chiller has a Tracer BCI on it. I got the Tracer BACnet set up tool and configured the device ID, baud and such. The only thing that was weird was the controller wouldn't look at the rotary switches for the MAC address. In the manual for the UC400 it says you can clear the memory and the BCI will automatically go out and reconfigure itself. Once I did that the rotary switch change came up like normal, but when I would go to change the engineering units of measure it kept showing a error while saving. It does this everytime and I am not sure what I can try next. Also I noticed the CH530 controller can no longer communicate to the BCI. Do I have to hook up to the CH530 now and rebind the BCI with the Trane Magnetic screw driver? I would appreciate any help on working with one of these controllers.

Thanks
    I am going to be going to this job sometime later this week. Does anyone have any helpful information on getting one of these BCI UC400 controllers set up correctly? Like I said above it will not let me change the engineering units to english units without showing up with a error. Any advice on these controllers will be appreciated.

Thanks!
    J. King

Did you assign the controller a software ID in the software and checked the box to use software ID? If so uncheck that box and use the rotary dials for your device ID, if you do a search for my username and BCI I have a right up on the contradiciton in the instructions and how to set the BCI-C up.
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

Quote Originally Posted by joey791 View Post
    Did you assign the controller a software ID in the software and checked the box to use software ID? If so uncheck that box and use the rotary dials for your device ID, if you do a search for my username and BCI I have a right up on the contradiciton in the instructions and how to set the BCI-C up.
    Thanks a lot I will take a look at some of your posts.
    J. King

Apprentice3,
    I had same issue with 14 Intellipac cards and this is what I used to get them programmed.
    "Follow these steps to download the Tracer BacNet setup tool:

www.mytranecontrols.com -> software updates (bottom right hand corner) -> building controls (scroll down menu) and click search -> tracer BacNet setup tool -> download file -> run

this tool will allow you to connect with the communication card and change the units to English."

This link came from our Trane salesman, it only allows access to change the address and units of measure. You will need a laptop/pc and a printer usb cable to tie into the card directly one at a time.
    Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by darter1 View Post
    Apprentice3,
    I had same issue with 14 Intellipac cards and this is what I used to get them programmed.
    "Follow these steps to download the Tracer BacNet setup tool:

www.mytranecontrols.com -> software updates (bottom right hand corner) -> building controls (scroll down menu) and click search -> tracer BacNet setup tool -> download file -> run

this tool will allow you to connect with the communication card and change the units to English."

This link came from our Trane salesman, it only allows access to change the address and units of measure. You will need a laptop/pc and a printer usb cable to tie into the card directly one at a time.
    Good Luck
    I have that software... I believe it is version 2.0. I have tried everything to change the units to english/IP. Everytime I click IP and save it. I get some sort of error. I cannot convert the points. I read something in the manual stating to disconnect the unit communication cable and try changing the units then. Still the same error. I don't know if my controller is messed up? I have tried clearing the controller and rebinding the BCI through techview and it still has the same error. I see they have BACnet setup tool version 2.1 out now. Is there a chance that mine just has a bug?

Thanks for any help on this!
    J. King

I have been working with a bms company on the rtu's and their rep had what sounds like the same issue with errors. I would try using the 2.1 version, that is what I have on my laptop and it worked. I was also connecting to just the bci card. The usb cable will power the bci card with no other wires connected. Good luck. I am also just getting involved with Trane on another site with their BCI-C chiller cards. Hope they work better.

Quote Originally Posted by darter1 View Post
    I have been working with a bms company on the rtu's and their rep had what sounds like the same issue with errors. I would try using the 2.1 version, that is what I have on my laptop and it worked. I was also connecting to just the bci card. The usb cable will power the bci card with no other wires connected. Good luck. I am also just getting involved with Trane on another site with their BCI-C chiller cards. Hope they work better.
    Thanks for the reply. When I plugged in the other day.. I did exactly what you were saying and allowed my USB to power the controller. The only thing was I wasn't using 2.1 software. So I will install that on my computer and try again. I sure hope this works. Thanks a lot for your reply this is exactly what I was wanting to hear.
    J. King

Quote Originally Posted by apprentice3 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. When I plugged in the other day.. I did exactly what you were saying and allowed my USB to power the controller. The only thing was I wasn't using 2.1 software. So I will install that on my computer and try again. I sure hope this works. Thanks a lot for your reply this is exactly what I was wanting to hear.
    Just FYI everyone my version of software being 2.0 was the problem. Once I upgraded my BACnet setup tool to 2.1 it converted all of the points without any errors.

Thanks for all your help!
    J. King

Glad everything worked out for you. Those damn programs can be such a pain sometimes