+ Reply to Thread

Thread: multi stack or smardt chiller

Post Likes

Lightbulb multi stack or smardt chiller

Hi Guys
    Got a client that wants to replace an existing Mcquay screw chiller , looking at options. Engineer wants to go with a mulit stack , we recommended a smardt (oilless chiller). Have worked with the smardt , have never seen a multi stack, need some feed back on the multi stack. Is it a good option or is it crap.

thanks.

Post Likes
    Assuming you go with a real chiller and not a modular deal, the mutlistacks are as good as smardt. Depending upon the rep, pricing isnt the same though. Also, if you already have smardt software, you will need different platform for the multistack front end. Monitoring tool is the same. I recently loked at both for a project, and ended pu staying with smart due to familiarity of them on my guys part.

3. Likes dieseldude liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Engineer wants to use four 50 ton sections. Not a real chiller. Any input on this type would help.

Post Likes
    Muti stack is a great product just worked on a hospital install and the modular concept makes sense in this environment. Hospitals are always expanding so a expandable chiller makes sense. One note the lead lag logic did not come standard on the chiller and requires a timer that is added to the system. Still working on BAS contact points to control the lead lag though programming from the front end.

Post Likes
    I can't comment on the Multistack modular chillers as I have no exposure to them, however I do like their flooded model Turbocor chiller and we have had great success with 2 of them thus far. No software required for the micro (Flexsys Controller), standard turbocor monitoring software is all you need. Smardt lost my interest the first time I attempted to contact them for technical support in May 2012 (2 weeks after taking their training), I am still waiting for them to call back.

Post Likes
    Tell him to save his money go with the Mcquay WMC

8. Likes Screwit liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Multistack microprocessor is superior to Smardt. Both are good machines and are making the big three look bad. Not familar with new McQuay, but consider that McQuay is not as open about service info on their product, where as Multistack and Smardt are not competing with their customers for service business and I find Multistack to be very good at sharing info on their product. I am partial to Multistack as an American owned and operated company.
    A LITTLE BIT OF STUPID GOES A LONG WAY!

Post Likes
    Try looking up Thermalcare, they have a nice Turbocor unit and great support. We have a few of these in now and they work awesome. They were first used for plastic injection purposes but now they are using them for comfort cooling. They are located in Illinois. You can also hook them up to an aircooled condensor.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thirty years View Post
    Hi Guys
    Got a client that wants to replace an existing Mcquay screw chiller , looking at options. Engineer wants to go with a mulit stack , we recommended a smardt (oilless chiller). Have worked with the smardt , have never seen a multi stack, need some feed back on the multi stack. Is it a good option or is it crap.

thanks.

I've done a little checking on the multistack because we were considering installing one but from what I read people have had a lot of issues and don't seem to like them very much especially when it comes to the condenser water filtering. We do have a variety of chillers Trane, Mcquay, and York of all differant sizes and types, The Mcquays centrifugal has done well with little problems, all the different screw machines have issues with cold tower water coming off plate and frame, so head pressure controls are a must on the condenser piping. We don't have a torbocore yet but looking into it soon. I have heard its hard getting support from Smardt, we haven't delt with any of them yet but thats the word.

Post Likes
    We have not installed plate and fin models, only flooded and they are an amazing piece of engineering! We stay away from all plate and fin anybody makes. Multistack has given us support I didn't expect in this day and age. We are hooking our wagon onto the multistack mule!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sargent york View Post
    We stay away from all plate and fin anybody makes.
    I agree with this. Absolutely so for condensers. And using them for evaporators is questionable on some applications.

Post Likes
    Stay away from Smardt you will have nothing but grief, have had quite a bit of experience with them.

Post Likes
    need clean water for modular chillers period. so as long you have some type of strainer system in place should be ok, the maintenance is pretty extensive on the modular plate and frames as well.
    “The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.” – Henry David Thoreau

It's sad that we have become so accustomed to bad service that we're shocked when we get good service.
    Neil Cavuto

Post Likes
    McQuay has been doing the Turbocor the longest and has the bet grip on how to control it and probably the best support & training.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in