Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A LOT of condensation on widows and sills

Post Likes
    what is exterior cladding of the home?
    what type of underlayment was used between brick
    and insulation in stud bays?
    was a vapor barrier used behind sheetrock to interior?

knowing that this is a retrofit rather than a new construction home
    raises more questions.

determining where the moisture is comming from, internal gain..or something else
    is what you need to know.

best of luck.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Post Likes
    This is the part that is still raising my eyebrow, the OP states "when the heater kicks on, the humidity in the house shoots up all of a sudden"

Since he didn't provide the numbers I'll just guess and say he's going from 65F/60% RH to 70F. A quick look at the psyometric chart tells me the RH should drop to about 50%. Something just isn't right here.

If the op could post some pictures that may help.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by clllclal View Post
    Hello all! I live in south Alabama and the past few nights the temp. has gotten around 35-39 degrees. I have a brand new Trane 16 seer variable speed heat pump with a thermostat that has humidity control. I keep my set temp. at 70 degrees when i go to bed. The next morning, I have pools of water on my window sills and the windows have droplets of water all over them and are also fogged over.

70F, 70RH, DEW POINT IS 60F. I SUSPECT THERE IS WATER ON SURFACE OTHER THAN WINDOWS AND SILLS.

I have also noticed when the heat is running, it is putting my humidity level between 64 and 70. To me that doesn't sound normal.

BUT NOT SURPRISING IF THAT'S WHAT YOU ARE ASKING FOR. (what rh does the stat call for?!)

Does the high humidity level have something to do with this? Also, the house is a new home with upgraded insulation. The windows are double paned, but are metal, not vinyl, which I don't think the winows have anything to do with what's going on.

SINCE THE WINDOWS ARE THE CONDENSING SURFACE, THEY CERTAINLY HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH WHAT IS GOING ON. BUT DISTINCTION BETWEEN PARTICIPANT AND CULPRIT WILL AVOID WILD GOOSE CHASES.

I guess the humidity control doesn't work unless the a/c is running, correct?

INCORRECT

What the heck is going on? I'm really getting frustrated. Thanks for any help that can be offered.

Chad
    Chad, is there a reason you haven't answered stvc's question repeated numerous times?

If you have a humidifier, and it's not properly set to deliver humidity only when it gets dry, that may explain everything.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by energy_rater_La View Post
    what is exterior cladding of the home?
    what type of underlayment was used between brick
    and insulation in stud bays?
    was a vapor barrier used behind sheetrock to interior?

knowing that this is a retrofit rather than a new construction home
    raises more questions.

determining where the moisture is comming from, internal gain..or something else
    is what you need to know.

best of luck.
    The exterior is brick. Under the brick is plywood wrapped in tyvek. No vapor barrier in between sheetrock and insulation. I didn't think a vapor barrier was needed in that situation.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    Chad, is there a reason you haven't answered stvc's question repeated numerous times?

If you have a humidifier, and it's not properly set to deliver humidity only when it gets dry, that may explain everything.
    Let me explain something. I am not an HVAC expert. As I've stated quite a few times, I really appreciate all of the feedback being given. And no, I didn't realize that I wasn't answering a question that was being asked by stvc. If I am correct, you can only set the humidity level to what you would like it to reach in the cooling stage, but that doesn't mean that I have a dehumidifier built in with the system. Also, with the heat running, the humidity level and the heater do not work together in heat mode that I am aware. Maybe I am way off base here, but this is how I understand it. This is not my actual tstat, but it is identical to it. I pulled this one off of the internet.Name:  trane-thermostat.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  4.8 KB

Post Likes
    Can you post a few pictures of your air handler? We'll be able to tell you if you have a humidifier installed.

Communicating equipment manages HUMIDIFICATION as well as dehumidification.

Post Likes
    Can you post a few pictures of your air handler? We'll be able to tell you if you have a humidifier installed.

Communicating equipment manages HUMIDIFICATION as well as dehumidification.
    This is the air handler that is located in the attic. There is nothing there that tells me I have a dehumidifier as well. At least I know I didn't pay for anything like that.Name:  006.JPG
Views: 856
Size:  61.4 KB

Post Likes
    Chad, we know you aren't a hvac expert.
    just as you know that we are toubleshooting via internet.
    there are limits to both.

I asked about wall construction thinking about moisture driven thru brick exterior.
    this article (that you'd have to download) explains it well.

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ure+brick+wall

we would be remiss in only addressing the RH without exploring why it is so high.
    as different folks chime in, and more information is posted..more questions are asked.

are you game for a few more questions?
    you have cellulose insulation in walls and on attic floor..correct?
    was the insulation in the walls wet blown when installed?
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Post Likes
    That's a pretty nice looking installation EXCEPT the emergency drain pan looks like its got water in it. Hard to tell from the picture, but the bottom looks reflective and the wood looks wet.

That drain pan should always be dry.

So where is that water coming from? I suspect there is a humidifier somewhere. (The dehumidifier is the AC Coil - in summer it gets cold and becomes a condensing surface. Water drains out those little white pipes.)

More pictures please?

Post Likes
    Chad, we know you aren't a hvac expert.
    just as you know that we are toubleshooting via internet.
    there are limits to both.

I asked about wall construction thinking about moisture driven thru brick exterior.
    this article (that you'd have to download) explains it well.

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ure+brick+wall

we would be remiss in only addressing the RH without exploring why it is so high.
    as different folks chime in, and more information is posted..more questions are asked.

are you game for a few more questions?
    you have cellulose insulation in walls and on attic floor..correct?
    was the insulation in the walls wet blown when installed?
    Yes, I am game for a few more questions. The cellulose in the walls was wet blown. That was well over a year ago.

Post Likes
    That's a pretty nice looking installation EXCEPT the emergency drain pan looks like its got water in it. Hard to tell from the picture, but the bottom looks reflective and the wood looks wet.

That drain pan should always be dry.

So where is that water coming from? I suspect there is a humidifier somewhere. (The dehumidifier is the AC Coil - in summer it gets cold and becomes a condensing surface. Water drains out those little white pipes.)

More pictures please?
    That picture is over 8 months old. The water that you see has been alleviated. The emergency drain pain has not been wet since. I do understand about the AC coil being a dehumidifier during the summer months when it is cooling. The way you made it sound earlier was as if I had a dehumidifier along with the AC unit. Exactly which angle pictures would you like?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by clllclal View Post
    That picture is over 8 months old. The water that you see has been alleviated. The emergency drain pain has not been wet since. I do understand about the AC coil being a dehumidifier during the summer months when it is cooling. The way you made it sound earlier was as if I had a dehumidifier along with the AC unit. Exactly which angle pictures would you like?
    So where did the water come from the first time and what was done to correct it? Again, have you discussed this with your HVAC contractor?

A humidifier is another question that I think you said you did not believe you had, typically mounted on the supply duct but could also be on the return. Very common here, probably not so much there though. The more pictures the better we will be able to assess the situation without being there. I also was asking about inside/outside temp and humidity set points. Do you still use AC during the daytime?

Post Likes
    Is that duct board I see? Not sheet metal? Could be warm moist air migrating from conditioned space and condensing inside the ductboard and saturating the fiberglass ductboard. I would still like to see a pic of the two water heaters and their vent pipes.
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

Post Likes
    if the system is all electric as this one is
    and ahu of heat pump is in the attic,
    it is highly unlikely that the two water
    heaters, also in the attic are gas.
    usually all electric includes hvac & w/heaters.
    if w/heaters are electric...there is no venting.

not saying it isn't possible, just highly unlikely.

so Chad...gas or electric water heaters?
    are you still emptying the dehumidifier as much as you
    were the first couple of days?
    is RH holding steady inside the house?
    are you leaving the dehumidifier on, or shutting
    if off and on?
    you should try leaving it on 24/7, so that the
    Rh removed stays removed. as the house
    dries, less Rh removal will mean less emptying
    out the dehumidifier.

btw..there is nothing wrong with ductboard.

best of luck

Post Likes
    I missed the part about the home being all electric. Nobody is saying ductboard is bad. What I am saying is that hot humid air rises, and then condenses on anything that is below dew point temperature of that hot humid air. I remember reading about the older high velocity systems having this problem. They used to supply "plugs" for the supply vents to prevent the entire duct system from becoming saturated with moisture. Don't remember what they did to prevent it with newer systems.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    What does a post with ... mean? You've done that a few times right after one of my postings and I don't understand what it is supposed to mean.

Post Likes
    I don't get the ... thing either and I don't think the OP ever confirmed the water heaters are electric but would guess ERLA's assumption is correct.
    I've also come to the conclusion this is a total DIY gone horribly wrong in many different areas. He took the money from the Chinese drywall lawsuit, tried to do it all himself and pocket some cash and failed.

I think I'm done now.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stvc View Post
    I don't get the ... thing either and I don't think the OP ever confirmed the water heaters are electric but would guess ERLA's assumption is correct.
    I've also come to the conclusion this is a total DIY gone horribly wrong in many different areas. He took the money from the Chinese drywall lawsuit, tried to do it all himself and pocket some cash and failed.

I think I'm done now.
    To everyone who has replied in a polite manner, thank you. To every other smart arse on here, up yours... especially you stvc. You call yourself a "professional member?" More like "HVAC snob" who gets his s@#^* and giggles from making other people feel ignorant. You cannot even begin to understand what me, my wife and two young daughters went through after we built a brand new house only to find out two years later that our house was basically worthless. We lived in a travel trailer in our backyard because we didn't know what the gases the drywall was producing was doing to our health. After we finally settled, I started remediating the home, with the help of a close friend who just happens to be a contractor, but with me using which subs I wanted. stvc, how can you say this AC system was a DIY gone wrong? I did everything I was supposed to. I let the AC company do what they do best....install a system. Isn't that what HVAC companies do? I didn't install this thing. Therefore it is not a DIY. Also, how in the hell would you know if I tried to pocket cash from the settlement or not? That is a little off subject and quite frankly a little personal. stvc, you're a complete tool and you are right where you need to be...hiding behind the screen of your computer insulting other people. To everyone else who has replied to my posts, thank you. I came to this forum hoping to find some answers because I was getting nowhere with the original installer. energy_rater_La, I'm with you......................I think I'm done now.

Post Likes
    Sorry to hear all you have been through, but I was trying to help.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in