Sounds like a jack hammer!

"Sounded like a jack hammer after I turned it back on" is what the store manager told me after I found both rods snaped on a copeland laca 032e-tac. I am looking for a reason for this failure. It is an ice cream bunker with the condensor located lower than the bunker in a tunnel. It runs R-507 and has a cpr at the condensor. It does not have a pump down solenoid and controls temp. via press. sw. only. The store manager says they turned it off on Sat. night via turing off the compressor breaker only. Then they washed out the bunker w/ luke warm water. They do this a few times a year. Turned the system back on Monday Morning and it sounded like a jack hammer, but they let it run. Ran all week and they called me Friday morning and I found the rods on both cylinders broke and oil sitting on the piston when I removed the head. This is standard practice and setup on the freezers in this store. I am thinking the warm water may force the 507 to migrate into the compressor. The tunnel runs about 90 degrees this time of year and there is no CCH on the compressor. Any thoughts would be great!

Also the CPR is set at 34#.

Sounds like liquid refrigerant had condensed inside the compressor’s sump while it was off. Unless there was recent work done where oil was added to the system and it had somehow been accumulating inside the evap, then was displaced during the wash down, etc.

Or the system may have been overcharged with refrigerant since the last time it was cleaned.

Or it may have been that this time when it was cleaned the conditions were just right for the liquid refrigerant to damage the compressor. The condenser may have been colder for a longer period of time this particular time. How cold do you think it became at the condenser when it was off?

A sump heater would be useless if they shut the power off to the condenser. So it’s pointless putting one on.

A pump down solenoid switch, controlling a LLSV, would likely prevent this situation from reoccurring. A suction accumulator wouldn’t hurt either, for the initial part of the warm water wash down.

I prefer to have a liquid line hand valve in each case.

Hand valves or solenoid valves the store personal need to be trained on the proper procedure for shutting down the equipment!

I would say the tunnel where the cond. is located does not get below 80 degrees as there are many more units. I am thinking that the cpr may have held the 507 back during off cycle and condensed allowing it to slug the comprssor at start up. An acc. or pump down of some sort would most likely solve this but this is not how this store chain does there systems. Guess we can plan on doing more compressor changes:-)