do you think will work ?

http://fieldpiece.com/standalone-instruments/s365

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mstx View Post
    I never see this one before.
    Old school guys are covering the fan with cardboard
    do you think will work ?

http://fieldpiece.com/standalone-instruments/s365
    Cardboard is still cheaper then that gizmo. Now if you got some tool allowance you need to use up have at it.

Post Likes
    I use cardboard, my jacket, plastic or whatever else is lying around.

Post Likes
    I just keep a roll of pallet shrink wrap on the truck, works fine and costs basically nothing.

Post Likes
    I'm still not convinced this method of charging does anything other than simulate a damn-dirty coil.
    Maybe a teepee better.....?
    The views and opinions posted here are my own. They do not reflect the corporate policies of my employer and will most likely get me fired at some point.

Post Likes
    I was taught to block the coil and not the fan. I have forgotten the reason why but maybe someone will come along who might know what the difference is.
    The bible is my constitution and the constitution is my bible.

WE THE PEOPLE refers to THEM and not YOU.

Jonathan Lawson 2024

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by engineerdave View Post
    I'm still not convinced this method of charging does anything other than simulate a damn-dirty coil.
    Dave not saying its right or would work on everything out there but blocking the fan outlet like this does react differently than a dirty coil or cardboard or slowing or partialy blocking discharge air with a board or something . When you seal the whole top like this the air moves in and out past the coil vs just slowing the air.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    Want to kill airflow? Pull the fan common wire from the contactor.

Post Likes
    Here are two videos, it does work like they say it does. You cannot block a condenser as it changes the design temperature difference of the coil. Blocking the coil will show a false high sub-cooling as shown in the first video.

http://youtu.be/SomBaJnrO78

Here is a demo of how the charging blanket works.

http://youtu.be/pmFd8K-9hkU
    JLB,

Post Likes
    Ok, I'm convinced. I always had luck with the pallet wrap because when I think about it I've never had to try it on a TXV, only across a piston where subcooling didn't affect it.

Jim, will this fit Rheem Classic "long body" condensing units, like in your first video? I'm responsible for a couple hundred of them, looks like it might be a trick with having the rectangle shape and having to have the cover off to connect to the system.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jim bergmann View Post
    Here are two videos, it does work like they say it does. You cannot block a condenser as it changes the design temperature difference of the coil. Blocking the coil will show a false high sub-cooling as shown in the first video.
    I am convinced this way does work differently but will not work for everything out there and certainly not to the temp extreme they claim. When I simulated this way of blocking the fan on my Carrier it was not close enough to charge by. There may be a problem with this running on taller coils.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    I was taught to block the coil and not the fan. I have forgotten the reason why but maybe someone will come along who might know what the difference is.
    Quote Originally Posted by engineerdave View Post
    I would assume this would have the same effect as cutting the ODF out on low ambient conditions which is a common method in commercial. Your pressures would stabilize better so you would be able to charge only TXV systems. I have a condenser box folded up in the truck that i use fits perfectly over the units I work with.
    ®

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    I am convinced this way does work differently but will not work for everything out there and certainly not to the temp extreme they claim. When I simulated this way of blocking the fan on my Carrier it was not close enough to charge by. There may be a problem with this running on taller coils.
    From what I understand it is being used in programs all over CA successfully. Russ would have to comment on that. I have only tested it down to the mid/low 50s, I agree that 37 sounds really low. I think you would run into other problems like low indoor load, and issues with A/C systems that are not equipped with low ambient protection like crank case heaters. That aside, even it it only worked well at the 50s and up it still extends the time you can work. A cheap investment for the return. It will work on square units. There are simply hooks to hold it in place.
    JLB,

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in