Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    you nailed it. Got to go with heavey duty if carring weight.
    You guys are missing the point.
    I agree with you big load = big engine, although a van would be better (chevy, ford, nissan).
    But i said specifically for service where you don't need big engines, so a 3.5 is perfect.
    I believe you can save around $ 1000 or more in gas per year, considering 40.000 miles.

So I've been looking at these Pro Master vans and trying to figure if it would be as good as a Freightliner with the Diesel. hard to say if the 3.6 will hold up or not with a fwd set up. I drive a 2500 extended express now with a 6.0 and i'm sure the loss of power will be missed.
    I honestly don't understand why you think a van set up as service would weight less. My truck is heavy as hell ,I think. At least I know I hit the bump stops on occasion.
    Has anyone tried these vans yet? Is there a true road tested gas millage with weight yet?

I'll never own another Dodge.

Had a 94 with a V6 and it was junk.

1. Radio quit the first year.
    2. Sun visor clips both broke off.
    3. A/C knob fell off.
    4. Seat quit adjusting.
    5. Catalytic converter developed a LOUD rattle.
    6. Pitman arm wore out the second year.
    7. Tranny went out at 97k miles.
    8. New tranny started making noise at with 38k on it.
    9. Water pump failed at 60k.
    10. Alternator failed at 85k.
    11. Found 3 exhaust manifold bolts broken off at factory- developed an exhaust leak.
    12. V6 underpowered for the weight, this also caused tranny to shift too much.
    13. Engine started smoking at 140k. Valve stem leaks.
    14. Rough running engine at 120k. Tuneup did no good. Became harder to start.
    15. A/C switch quit working, then a/c developed a leak around 100k.
    16. Gas mileage- 15 at best.

I use Mobile1 oil in the engines, Amsoil ATF in the trannies at 20k do a full flush, use only 50/50 mix antifreeze and distilled water (Never tap water), wash the engine and use Armor-All on it and everything.

Bought a new 2002 Ford F150 w/work truck package and a 4.6L V8 to replace it.
    Never been in the shop. 180k miles and still runs perfect and as quiet as new.
    Tires last 65-80k miles.
    Gas mileage now is about 16-18. And I carry much much more weight.
    I like it so much- I don't want a new one.

Don't know about the new Dodges- maybe they fixed their shortcomings, but they look too big and bulky and the sides too high to put tool boxes on.

I want a work truck, not a sporty luxury family truck.

Quote Originally Posted by TACKERDOWN View Post
    So I've been looking at these Pro Master vans and trying to figure if it would be as good as a Freightliner with the Diesel. hard to say if the 3.6 will hold up or not with a fwd set up. I drive a 2500 extended express now with a 6.0 and i'm sure the loss of power will be missed.
    I honestly don't understand why you think a van set up as service would weight less. My truck is heavy as hell ,I think. At least I know I hit the bump stops on occasion.
    Has anyone tried these vans yet? Is there a true road tested gas millage with weight yet?
    I have one of the older Express 3500 LWB vans... with a 5.7 engine. Thing is rough on gas, however it is solid like an old fashioned truck! Love it... and plan to drive the wheels off of it.

Not sure what these manufacturers have in mind... however if they want to sell work trucks and vans... they need to talk to the folks who drive them... rather than the accountants that cut costs on parts to build them.

If Chevy/GM re-designs the full size van and it is the heavy-duty work vehicle... while everyone else is trying to make a light duty full sized mini-van... well guess who is gonna OWN the market...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

That new dodge van is UGLY!! Don't buy one.

The future isn't what it use to be.
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Those headlights on that Dodge van sit pretty high up. Bet people aren't going to like them shining right in their cars when your sitting behind them.

That would help some see better after they race you to the RED LIGHT then sit playing with their GPS or TEXTING after the light turns GREEN

I've been driving a Chevy silverado ext cab 1500 5.3L V8 since 2004. Never had a tune up, original plugs and wires, 2 sets of tires, I dog the hell out of it and it just keeps on going. 187,000 miles and counting. I use it for service and install , it's packed with all kinds of stuff/weight drags a trailer a good bit and doesn't miss a beat. 13-14mpg average. I do wish it was a little bigger. I'm looking at a 2500 crew cab next.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    Wouldn't own a dodge if it was the last truck on earth, IMO
    Haha didn't even need to read another response.

X2

Well basically don't take this in a rude Manor of speaking because it's not meant that way, but I really don't care what it looks like. We have all been raised with the design that most of us use now and that has a lot to do with our thoughts on that. Personally I think they are kinda ugly to but in the same sentence kinda like it if that's possible . I have 170,000 + on mine to and it still runs like a raped ape. I want higher shelf capacity to clear up some floor space and to be able too walk in it. The knees are getting bad and I'm getting older and yes maybe a little puss factor want to be able to get in and out easier. Lol . The 6.0 doesn't have bad mileage so to speak. I'm more curious how the new one handles all of our abuse. I can't compare it to an old dodge because it has nothing to do with them in any aspect other than the name. I'm looking to move into one of these style vans and have heard from others that they like the Freight liner but nothing on the new promaster. The cost is much lower but will the FL pay for itself in the long run.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I have a 2011 ram with cap and a roller bed gas milage is great and I've never had a problem with it. Don't think I could go back to a van now after being spoiled with the 4x4

I don't know if I could work from a pick up. When I first started I worked with a guy that had a utility bed and I hated that. I do have one for various jobs but it's mostly sets until needed. I'm guessing your setup is probably a little different though.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Control Man View Post
    Better buy your CHEVY or GMC van before the new 2014 REDESIGNED CHEVY EXPRESS is introduced later this year supposedly its jumping on the UGLY bandwagon as well..
    What redesign? The new rims?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast