T - Stat with power cord????????????????????????????

I ran into something I have never seen before.....I got a service call for a old floor furnace. Customer wanted cleaned and also wanted to know why there was a power cord coming from t - stat. huh????? So when I get to the call I see the cord coming from the stat. I plug it in and set the stat to call for heat and a Christmas light in the stat comes on along with the furnace. Now keep in mind this is a old mercury stat (Robert Shaw). So my question is have you seen this before. and why? I removed the power cord and light. Then wired the stat up normal and the heater would not fire up. I re- install the power cord minus the light and the heater fires up. Soooooo weird. I saved this call for the end of the day and did not have time to crawl under house to see how this thing is wired up. I don't work on very many floor furnaces but I do know that most do not need power and run on millivolts.

This is interesting, i going to watch this thread.

Sounds like someone re-engineered that furnace! Maybe they put a 120V gas valve on it, powered from the stat?

120v control voltage was not uncommon in the past.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

That's true, but I would guess it was a millivolt floor furnace that someone converted to 120V...Powered from stat.

Sounds like someone could have replaced the millivolt gas valve with a 24v. They probably installed a transformer somewhere and powers it with the cord. Sounds kinda weird and scary.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was a 120v stat and valve. Probably wouldnt have hurt to test voltage at stat could have been the 120v sinario or the 24v sinario. Either way I always cring when it's a floor heater.

Way back in the recesses of my mind, I remember a floor furnace in a house that had an igniter that lit the fuel. This was like back in 1979, and as I remember it, the igniter was line voltage. I do remember the igniter was called a "Little" Could it be? But I'm sure it was an oil furnace. Prolly not what you're working on. I used to have "Senior Moments", now I have "Senior Months."
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

I grew up in a house with a oil floor furnace made by Kleer Kleen (I think that was how it was spelled). It basically had a vaporizing burner with its own combustion blower. I think it was supposed to light itself, but my parents always had to light it by throwing lit Kleenex into it.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Customer decided to go with a new wall heater. However I went back to the unit and checked the power cord it is a toy car charger that has a transformer that goes from 120v to 6v dc. I am not sure why it needs this to fire up though.