Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    had an interview yesterday afternoon. I walked into this mind blowing plant! 32,000,000 WATTS! Rows of back up gens, rows of York 1700 ton chillers...

its a major US computer manufacturer and this office is in Austin.

They're looking for in plant facilities maintenance personnel.

A lot of monitoring. Grease some bearings, change some belts. Do some maint stuff.

Electrical, HVAC, controls, fire systems, security, ... all sorts of good stuff.

The benefits are unreal.
    12 hours shifts, 3-day weekends and one 4-day a month. (Three days this week, four the next)

You can eat off the floor in the motor room.

What should I ask for?

for those of you who might now know this, I have never seen a centrifugal that big before, cept in pictures.
    Largest systems I have worked on were 100 tons recips.

And the manager knows that.

whats your advice on a starting point to ask for in wages?

Thanks

Was there a wage range in the ad?

Doesnt sound like a job that will pay like field work, but who knows?

eventu rerum stolidi didicere magistro

right, here! in the heartland of the homeland!

start at

75 k,,,
    remember its The grate staate of texass!

after all these days and 230 reads ... only two replies?!

I'm asking for $20 an hour to start. I'll see where this goes from here.

Is there any way to find out what other people are making in a similar position? Don't sell yourself short and good luck.
    Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. It's unwise to pay too little.
    When you pay too much, you lose a little money -- that is all. When you pay too little, you may lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot -- it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better."

John Ruskin

Arrow

R12 -

I have two years of field exp......I'm now a stationary engineer with a well known company in Los Angeles.....3 Trane CenTraVac chillers.....main chiller is 450 tons, second chiller is 250 tons and the third is 150 tons....and 28 Liebert units, 25 tons each. When I went for the interview I asked for $24.00 and hour.....I got offered more and took the job. Throw a high number at them and take from there.

Talking

Those are los angels wages, higher cost of living out there and that even sounds low, for that area.
    Great benns and working hours, I think your wage is in line.
    See if they need any more help, let me know.
    Good luck
    Refrigeration...Finding the Wright Wrench to pound in the correct..Screw

Bump...

What happened here R12?
    eventu rerum stolidi didicere magistro

Gonna have GREAT New Year?

Mr. R12,

Sounds like your dream job!!

I'm testing units at a plant down in Selma. Hope to get out in the field in '07.

Keep us posted!

GTT
    G T T

“In the end we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends”

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Didn't they give you a chance to ask questions during the interview? That was a time to get an idea what they were offering. I'm sure the interviewer had a dollar figure in his head. You should of asked, " The benefits seem quit generous. Would you mind telling me what this job pays?."

Texas what a mess. Y'......alllllll......talk.....so...sloooowww..dow n .......dare.....that y'............alllllll........can......not .......get ....mucha.......con---ver---sat---ion...ina.....ow....er.

The guy was waaay younger than I.

I was overwhelmed by the plant. I didnt even get a full grasp of what the job entails.

He said his crew of 30 does EVERYTHING from locks to the gen-sets. The fire, security, alarms, networks... AND the cooling systems.

I imagine that if a guy knew the mechanical side of the cooling systems and was computer savvy, he could spend his 12 hour shifts sitting in the comfort of an office monitoring big screens. And never have to get his hands dirty.

On the other hand, if someone didnt know com cable but was a great mechanic, he'd spend his shifts turning wrenches.

Hard to say

Keep in mind I work in the field & I always have so my opinion mat not count for much in this case.

I think it all depends on how much of the work you will do & how much the contractors will do.

If your going to be an operator, to the point that you log the machines several times a shift & when your not logging them your doing other maintenance type things as well as trouble or comfort calls, i think that yeilds a modest salary, maybe a little less than what you get now.

If your going to be performing the annual services, that should yeild a little more.

If your going to do the repair work as well, then that would yeild even more, probably close to what your getting now.

Remeber, no matter how many different ways you think about this, you are now crossing over into that dreadful side of the industry of saving money not making it.
    No matter how much you save them, you will still be considered "overhead".

You will no longer be a "profit center", which in my opinion henders ones ability to get "top pay".

Try to sell your many years of expertise as to how mechanically inclined you are & since you've been on the contractor side of the biz for so long, you will have a leg up when it comes to dealing with the evil contractors because you know what makes them tick.

When you put it like that, they should try to buy you at this point, make it worth your while to make that transition.

Hope this helps.
    All my leon freaked out!

Quote Originally Posted by benncool View Post
    Texas what a mess. Y'......alllllll......talk.....so...sloooowww..dow n .......dare.....that y'............alllllll........can......not .......get ....mucha.......con---ver---sat---ion...ina.....ow....er.
    You must have talked to a transplant from Georgia, or one of those other states where they talk with an annoying southern drawl. We talk faster in Texas, more of a southern twang. We tend to chop letters out of words and mash em together, not draw them out longer than needed.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast