Hybrid View

Choosing a VRF for a hotel. Advice needed...

Hi,

I am working as a consultant for a 200-room Hotel project and we are choosing a VRF system at the moment. For sure, I've got engineers around me who inform me on how to choose a VRF system as I have no education or sufficient experience on the subject; but I still need more information.

We are quoated by Mitsubishi Heavy, Daikin and Mitsubishi Electric and they have all come up with their own systems. More or less, they calculated similar capacity and diversity. And now it has come to my decision.

1) Mitsubishi Heavy has quoated me for a KX6 system which consists of several 22-24-26-28 and 32 HP FDC-series units. They tell me that their KX6 systems have 2 inverters which is their main advantage against their competitors. Would you agree on that?

2) Daikin on the other hand quoted me for their new VRV IV system which accordingly is setting a new standard in the industry and is much more energy efficient due to many technological advancements. I've found out that it is a fairly new system and I was wondering what you can tell me about it? Is it reliable? Does it really bring essential improvements?

3) Given I have the same capacity recommended to me, based on what should I make my decision? Should I compare the EER values? And more importantly, which system would recommend and why?

Many thanks!

Where is the hotel located?

I have had good experience with mitsubishi systems and am recently doing an 80-ton Daikin VRV install. I am not quite sure about the 2 inverters but City Multi models are great energy efficient systems that take less time to install and setup, if you are a qualified contractor. As far as Daiken, their systems are a little more complicated and their reheat system requires you to run another additional (3rd) copper line. This does add more cost to the project. In my area, Miami, VRV's seem to be comming into the market heavily since last year. I have not heard of other contractors experiencing problems either with any of those system. Beware that with VRV systems there is a lot of piping involved and the contrator that does the job is more important than the equipment itself since leaks can be a nightmare to find and repair if not detected early.

Daikin, in my experience, has been the most expensive of the VRV MFG's. You should also look into LG who makes a very good product at an affordable price. My recommendation as a design build contractor would be to offer Mitsubishi as my base specified manufacturer and have Daikin and LG as acceptable alternates. With the building owners it will eventually be a decision of quality VS price since all of these MFG's have efficient systems. As far as quality, they are all good but you should speak to some of MFG's to get more info and determine which system is best for your needs. Call some of the MFG's and have them locate a rep in your area for you to give a call and discuss further.